Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 year old DD plays death and killing...?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM
  • 7 Replies

Okay so, my daughter is 3 years old. She is a pretty smart cookie, if I do say so myself, and she loves pretend play. However, I'm curious as to how many people's children play about death or killing? She always talks about how one of her dolls died or that she is going to kill a monster. No one she knows has dies, it just happens a lot in movies, even ones rated specifically for kids. So, is this normal play or should I be concerned? I do tell her that it isn't a game or a joke, that death is real and sad and serious. I tell her that we don't kill people because that is wrong, but am I getting too worked up and over-analizing this?

When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." -John 1:7
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this
My three year old dd knows what death is we had a really close family pet die and my stepdad this past year. She also says she is going to "kill" the monsters and stomp them then smush them so they don't scare her or go into her room anymore. We just tell her we don't allow monsters in the house and she doesn't have to worry about that. I think its normal cause it isn't excessive and she isn't being morbid about it. I wouldn't worry to much.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I don't know what is normal and what is not but I can my 3 year old dd doesn't pretend to kill anything.  I would say its probably normal but I don't think children really understand what death is at 3.  Our dog died and I explained to my dd that he died and when people or animals die it means that their body stops working...etc.  I still don't think she gets it though.  idk...Does your dd really understand what death is or is she just hearing it on tv and mimicking what she has heard?

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM
No my 3 yr old doesnt talk like that. He does act like a superman though. lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oostera
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I have explained to her that dead means gone forever, that no one gets to see that person anymore so it really isn't something to play about. I just had a sudden thought that it might be her way are learning and coping with the thought??? I don't know, lol. She's my first.

Quoting -PB:

I don't know what is normal and what is not but I can my 3 year old dd doesn't pretend to kill anything.  I would say its probably normal but I don't think children really understand what death is at 3.  Our dog died and I explained to my dd that he died and when people or animals die it means that their body stops working...etc.  I still don't think she gets it though.  idk...Does your dd really understand what death is or is she just hearing it on tv and mimicking what she has heard?

MamaBear2cubs
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM

My 4 year old says death from time to time. He'll ask if someone or something is dead. He doesn't pretend to kill anything.

Cheribomb
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

both mine did the say thing.. my dds barbies were constantly dying, being kidnapped & going to jail.  it was years of "mom can you tie up her hands".  lol they are older now & both are happy normal young ladies.  

MeghMirab
by Meghan on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I really dislike when kids use those words also, especially during play. I change his words if he says it, which has only been one time. He is 3 also. Even when he plays with lightsaber duels with his Dad he says "Oh you got me" and uses words other than killing and death. It's all a personal opinion though on if you feel uncomfortable with her saying it. You can help her change the words. When she says it you could say... "oh that hurt me" or " you got me" or "I will get you." Just word play. (: If we were at someones house and their child said "I will kill you" during role play games it would get my attention but I would never think their parents were bad ones. Kids pick things up. We just need to help them decide what to do with it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)