Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going back to work

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 10 Replies

My leave from work is coming to an end as of Jan 21st. I am not looking forward to going back to work and leaving my 7 week old Miss Myra.With my first Baby i stayed home till he started school.But our finances does not make it poss to stay home.I'm sad and need advice on things that helped others get through this time.

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeghMirab
by Meghan on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:53 PM

My husband had a hard time with the adjustment of going back to work after we had our DS. I tried to make it so he wasn't feeling like he was missing so much... I sent lots of pictures/videos and wrote down or text things that were happening so he didn't feel so left out. It was hard at first because he wanted to be there but then realized this is the next best thing. I am not sure if your baby is going to a babysitter that is able to do that (like your s/o, a family or a friend) but if so, you can ask that they send you pictures, videos and texts when possible on things she's doing. (: 

Jami1212
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I'm very blessed my mom will have her.My hubby as well was sad to leave us after the first two weeks he had off with us. I did the same for him as well. I hope those things will help me as well. Thank you for the advice.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Oh I completely understand how you feel. 

I know it's sad and can be overwhelming, but don't dwell on it too much.  Take pictures along with you to work.  Also, check in on her throughout the day.  Sometimes just knowing she's okay and hearing someone say she's okay goes a long way.  When I first went back to work, I used to call DD's daycare at least 3 times a day to check on her.  They understood and were incredibly accomodating.  It's a transition for everyone involved so it takes some time.

DaniandTom
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Check in with your mother as often as you want. If possible, have her bring the baby to your work for lunches once a week or so. Talk about her and decorate your office with her pictures (if you have an office) or wear a locket or other type of jewelry that you can put her picture in or keep her picture in your pocket. Make the time you do have with her as loving and special as you can. Make your weekends full of family things instead of cleaning and laundry--do those things while she's sleeping at night instead. (If you keep her used to sleeping when there is noise she won't be bothered by the sound of the TV or vacuum cleaner when she is sleeping. My mother used to turn the stereo up when she put me down at night. I can sleep through an atom bomb going off in the next room! I once slept through a major earthquake--9.1!!!) Hope that helps! ♥Hugs♥

LindaClement
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM

It helps if, especially for the first few weeks, you're 'set up' for dinner long before you leave. Whether that's a crockpot, or something you throw in the oven when you get home, or put on the timer in the oven straight from the freezer is related to your energy levels and taste...

I suggest that the easiest way to transition to this change is to come home and immediately 'have a nap' with the baby (and your older, too, if he's young enough to need the bonding/rest after whatever he does all day) until dinner's ready --40-50 minutes of 'now I will lay down even if I don't feel sleepy' to be available to the kids and undistracted by the need for dinner. Get up, have dinner, clean up and get ready for tomorrow's dinner with all the energy you now have, then have a after-work-night policy of 'no outings, no schedules, no activities'... 

You're going to need 3 weeks or so just to get used to the difference in demands between work and home, so prioritizing your sleep and rest will help to get 'everything' done. 

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I have never been a working momma. ((Hugs)) It will be fine!

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Take a picture of baby too work.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM

That's wonderful that your mom is going to watch her for you! You will probably miss her more than she misses you, I know my kids never wanted to leave Grandma's house. All the suggestions above are great advice!

YHanton
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM

This was very helpful. I've been out of work since April. My daughter is now 3months and I have a 16 month old. I usually like to be prompt, organized and well rested. Needless to say none of this is going on and I feel I get up early enough to prepare myself for the day. I have a part time job right now and have to be there at 9, I get up at 6:45 and still have been getting to work late :(. Any suggestions on better preparing myself.......

tlcory
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Although it has been 21 years since I've been through this I remember the feeling well (I unfortunately had to return to work a month after giving birth), I remember feeling so lonely the first day and of course worrying about my DD, my coworkers really helped on keeping my spirits up so Hopefully you to have a great group of coworkers for support, the first day definately was the hardest and I remember the excitement I had when picking her up from the babysitter that day and saw that she was good I really felt a sense of relief, joy and euphoria realizing I can do this, I can be a great Mom and work too!  A routine quickly fell into place that first week and we all adjusted very well.  The best advice would be to figure out a routine and stick with it, make sure in the evenings you get that bonding time to feed, cuddle and play, don't try and be Susie Homemaker and have the perfect meal, spotless house and social goddess, do what you can for upkeep until you are both comfortable with the routine than add the additional chores i.e. cleaning the oven, ironing etc.  I always did what I could during the week evenings but Saturdays were always my real cleaning and laundry day.  Congratulations on your bundle of joy.....You can do this Mama! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)