Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Potty training....is 16 months too early?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 30 Replies

Hello all! My DS will be 16 months in just a few days and I'm curious to know if this is too early to start potty training. I'm fully aware he won't be totally out of a diaper soon but I'd love to get there sooner than later. He isn't talking much but I figured I'm unemployed at the time and this boy HAS to do everything my DH and I do, so I figured "why not at least try?". What are some tips and tricks that have worked for you all? I've been doing potty chair research and think I've decided on the baby bjorn one (great reviews when it comes to the splash guard thingy). Also think I want to buy him underwear and put him in them for about 10-15 minute increments to get him to know undies feel better than diapers. That's about all I have tho for what I want to try! Any other suggestions?? Thanks in advance!!!

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StacyO722
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I think it's too early if he's not able to tell you that he has to go potty. It will take a lot longer if you start before he's ready.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I would get him a potty seat that he can sit on while you sit on the toilet.  I wouldnt push it but have him become used to the process.   Huggies has a good potty training section on their website.

honeydewdid
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM
3 moms liked this

It depends on your expectations. My son is 15 months old and we bought him a potty last month! We are just introducing the concept. Started off with telling him  what Mommy and Daddy do in the toilet. He always accompanies us into the bathroom out of curiosity. He started handing us toilet paper and closing the lid. At the same time we were getting him to recognize when he has a poopy diaper. We smell it we just ask him if he pooped, check his diaper and explain Yes you pooped in a happy way, lol, then changed his diaper. Now when we ask if he pooped he tries to take his diaper off. 

So when we bought the toilet he had to familiarize himself with it first, that's why I think it's a good idea to go ahead and buy one. That way when they are truly ready to be trained they are comfortable. I showed him how the lid opened and how he was supposed to sit on it. Now we go potty together, kind of. Every time I go to the bathroom he follows and we both sit on our potties. He keeps his diaper on but I praise him when he sits on it and pretends to go. Then he'll get toilet paper, wipe his diaper and close the lid. When he is older and truly ready to learn, I think it'll be so much easier.

I love your undies idea, totally going to use it.

Bdubsmom
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Thank you! Like I said, I just want to pretty much introduce it and see what I get out of him. I tried putting him on the potty after he saw me go yesterday but he wasn't having it so I didn't push it and got him redressed. When he saw me go and heard the tinkle...he got a happy shocked face and made the gasped wow sound! So again I figured maybe this will peak his interest. And potty time used to be my only "quiet"...guess I just lost that! Lol

Indiago
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:29 AM

I think It is ok to start potty training at that age, juts need to be very patient and not pushing at all. However it is up to their own development: my daughter learned it very fast (18th months old) and my son took longer (2.5 years)

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Does he wake from a nap dry?  If so, it may not be too early.  May daughter talked well early and actually told me no more diapers...my son took forever and still wears pullups at night.  Don't rush it or you'll just frustrated everyone.  

tossed
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM

My older son trained very quickly. We bought a pottly that looked like an adult toilet and let him sit on it when we went to the bathroom. He was doing that before he was your son's age. At 18 months, he was to the point of few accidents and was fully trained before 24 months. He was very verbal though. We never forced or pushed him. My second son...totally different story and had no interest in training until he was 4. He was also sick a lot, so that was one of his issues. Good luck.

tossed
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I have heard some parents use cheerios to let their little boys target practice in the toilet. We did not do that, but it could be interesting when he is a little older.

bpryce
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Definitely not too early. My ds was fully potty trained at 18months (if you dont count bedtime, i dont because even 12yr olds can wet the bed)

best advice- NEVER be negative about the whole potty training experience. Accidents WILL happen and no matter how upset it might make you do not show your child that emotion. Just calmly explain to your child what they did, where they are supposed to do it, and then physically put them there. Also EVERYTIME they sit on the potty, even after accidents, cheer, hoot, clap, praise them like sitting there is the best thing they could possibly do.

i also believe that keeping them in underwear, not pull ups, is essential. Before they can learn to use the potty they have to learn what it feels like to be dirty or wet and pull ups dont allow them to feel it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamakin616
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:02 AM

If he can't tell you that he has to go then it really is just going to be guessing game of you putting him on the chair and at the right times.He also might not like to sit there and wait until he can go,which is a mistake that a lot of people make...when it's done this way,the kids become very bored with it and don't want to go sit on the potty,because they don't know why they are being kept there for so long...10 or 15 min. to a one and half year old is like a life time.I'd wait until he can say that he has to go.As for the underwear ,I always bought them around that age and put them on over the diaers to help prepare for training.That way they get use to taking them off and putting them on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)