Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What's your experience with the IUD?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM
  • 13 Replies

I am seeing the OBGYN today and going to discuss with him birth control. I want something that doesn't release a lot of hormones, they make me hold on to weight and cause my boobs to hurt constantly. I also want something that lasts a while. I thought of the IUD or Paraguard and I wanted to hear experiences. I have heard about the one they put in the arm, but that one gives off hormones and I don't want that. We are just using condoms right now and I don't feel safe with those. I don't want another baby for at least 3 or 4 years. Any suggestions/experiences?? Thanks!

Also, I have a metal allergy to cheap metals, would that affect the IUD?

EDIT: The thing that he told me with the paraguard is that he has had some moms get pregnant on it because it falls out and they don't notice. So I opted out. Now I am having migranes (which I NEVER have!) from the birth control pills, so I am wishing I would have looked into paraguard more. The doc also said some woman have horrible cramping with the paraguard. I don't know... I'm wishing I would have looked into it more.

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandstorm12
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I had the Mirena IUD and it was one of the worst mistakes of my life.  My body took on an autoimmune action against this IUD because it's a foreign body made up of silicone and plastic.  Also, it does have low-dose hormones that are said to be localized.  My body became oestrogen dominant.  It was an absolute nightmare for me and once I had it removed, my bloodwork normalized and I began feeling human again.  My sister had a very bad experience also.  However another friend of ours loves it.  If you have allergies at all, I would really reconsider getting an IUD.  Just my opinion.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Paraguard is a copper iud.  I had one put in after my daughter.  Had it in 3.5yrs, NO issues, and got pregnant the very day I had it removed.  I now have my 2nd one in.  I highly reccomend it.  No hormones so your body acts as if there is nothing in you.  The only draw back is if they don't cut your strings properly then your partner can feel them and you will have to have them retrimmed.  Oh, and it can last 10yrs!

Bleacheddecay
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I had a no hormone IUD for over 20 years. No problems and would still have it but my plan was always to go back on pills for a few years after the IUD.

ColieO
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I had the mirena and it sucked balls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebcarroll
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Yeah, if you are really set on an IUD you want the Paraguard, Mirena has hormones, Paraguard is just copper. You don't want even that if you might be sensitive to copper. I had Mirena for almost 3 years before I got pregnant. We were not sure at the time, but it was probably expelled and then I got pregnant. While she is the best thing that happened to me, all the side effects of the Mirena made it so not worth it.
-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I've had paragard for 3 year and I love it.  I asked my obgyn about mirena and she said if you don't like bc pill side effects (I had problems with bc pills) you probably won't like mirena.  I also heard a lot of bad things about mirena.  I will say...tmi...my period was really heavy for the first 2 or 3 months but then it returned to normal.  No other side effects.

You actually need a certain amount of copper in your diet believe it or not.  Very small amounts of it is found in food (fish, potatoes, and beans).  It think it does something for your red blood cells.  I think copper allergies are very rare and you would probably already know if you were allergic to it but you could always get tested first.  GL!

kali_mom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I have had no complications with the Paragard and don't plan on using anything else. No hormones, I check my strings once a month and hubby has no complaints. Happy home!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:27 PM
I had the mirena for 2 years and loved it.
rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Mirena is the hormonal one, and it's made of plastic. Paragard is the non hormonal one and it's made of copper. 

I had mirena and I hated it. It was absolutely awful. I was always tired, couldn't lose weight, I had terrible acne (much worse than usual).

KatherineM
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:37 PM
I have had the paraguard for 2 yrs and have no complaints.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN