Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Rental Inspection?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:18 PM
  • 33 Replies
I live in low income housing and had an inspection done on Monday. I moved here May. In my other apts I never had an inspection done so this was new to me. The note I got from management said it would be a quick walk through. Um why did they open closets and my med cabinet then?? Seriously thats really bothering me. Is that normal?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sleepymommy87
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Well technically they can open whatever they want in your apartment since they gave you notice and they own the property. They can't go through your purse or anything like that but things that belong to them like doors, closets,, cabinets, etc they have every right to inspect. Especially low income housing, usually the state can come inspect things to make sure their tenants are not trashing their place, drugs, etc. I don't live in low income but our complex gets inspected annually and they do a thorough walk through to make sure everything is up to code and that we're not causing hazards like hoarding, fire hazards, etc. If you don't trust them, be home when they do it. Simple as that. :)

sleepymommy87
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I should add that it's very common to have inspections, every apartment I've ever lived in had inspections on an annual or every couple years schedule. 

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM
I was home. Thats how i knew they opened my med cabinet. And it wasnt a quick open, close. They were like looking through my meds. It bothers me because im on alot of meds especially for depression.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Well technically they can open whatever they want in your apartment since they gave you notice and they own the property. They can't go through your purse or anything like that but things that belong to them like doors, closets,, cabinets, etc they have every right to inspect. Especially low income housing, usually the state can come inspect things to make sure their tenants are not trashing their place, drugs, etc. I don't live in low income but our complex gets inspected annually and they do a thorough walk through to make sure everything is up to code and that we're not causing hazards like hoarding, fire hazards, etc. If you don't trust them, be home when they do it. Simple as that. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JohnnyCakes
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

They are checking for lease violations (such as pets or persons, cleanliness clauses), fire code violations (blocked doors etc), pests, mold and moisture, hoarders and general condition of the unit. My DH manages the maintenance department in townhomes and does walk throughs. When he does them they also change out furnace filters and batteries in smoke detectors, check window sills for leaks, that sort of thing. It doesn't have anything to do with low income housing, everywhere I've ever lived has done it. :) 

ruthallen
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM
My guess is if they were looking at the meds it wad to make sure it was your name on it not what it was. Sorry you had to deal with it.

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

I was home. Thats how i knew they opened my med cabinet. And it wasnt a quick open, close. They were like looking through my meds. It bothers me because im on alot of meds especially for depression.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Why not ask them?  Wondering can drive you crazy.  I'm sure they need to make sure the drugs are prescribed to you, that you don't have additional people living there, that you have no hazards, etc.  For you read your lease under inspections, it may even explain what they're looking for.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM
3 moms liked this
Govt pays for things, you have to put up with inspections.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
noahmommie2012
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM
the cloests and cupbaords and everything but ur purse or your car or dressers. they can open it since your only renting from them and they have the right to since they gave u a inspection notice. they do it to see if there anything wrong with anything or damage so it cna get fixed. we have 2 times a year.
rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM

It's their right since they own the apartment. That's why I only rent from private owners. I've lived in my townhouse for almost 3 years and I've never had an inspection done.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
They are checking to make sure nobody else not on the lease lives there. Drugs, ect. They want to get rid of those who cheat the system.

Part of being there from what I was told from friends is they are helping you giving you low cost/free rent, utilities ect. So they want to ensure your truth of needing help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)