Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My 4 year old said I was not her mom

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM
  • 7 Replies
Ok what do I do? Last week she told me that her mom went to heaven. Tonight she told me I was NOT her mom. I am so hurt by what he said. I don't know what to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jabs54
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:22 PM

My dd had a pretend grandpa when she was 4 but I can see why this would bother you.  Do you have any idea how she came up with this?

lovemybaby283
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Pfft. I would probably say something like tell that to my stretch marks and I would show her. lol. She is 4 IMO she is just trying to see what emotion it envokes. If you let it bother you she will keep doing it b/c it worked.

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM

When my 4 year old gets really mad about me not letting her do something or have something she says "You aren't my mommy anymore, I don't want to be a big sister anymore" and I'm like ok, whatever lol. I ignore it and she rarely says it but within a few minutes of me saying ok whatever she says "im sorry mommy, i do want you to still be my mommy and I do still want my little sister" lol

lisapizza1979
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Kids say the darnest things! I m sure she doesn't understand what she is saying. 4 year olds are silly at that age.she istesting you.she loves you and knows who you are.just try to explain to her you love her and you are here with her not in heaven. I hope it all works out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 2:13 AM

That is odd if you are her biological mother to say her real one went to heaven.  Not sure how i would handle that.   My dd likes to tell me i am a mean mommy when she is upset.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:26 AM

i would think she keeps saying it to get that reaction outta you

LADYxGHOST
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Who does she think you are? has anyone died that she knows? Or watch a show where mom died?  I personally think you should ask her who you are then.  Let her know, I am your mom and it is pseting when you say I am not your mom.  Tell her, I am sorry you don't believe I am your mom, but no matter what, I love you and will always be you mom.  Repeat this each time she brings it up directly and ignore it is it is indirect.  Kids' minds are very unique and delicate.  This should pass, the bigger deal it becomes, the longer it will last.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN