Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Shower or no baby shower??

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi All, 

I am new to this group....I am a mom of a 6 year old son from a previous marriage.  I recently got remarried and we are trying to have a baby.  

My question is this:  is it ok to have a baby shower when/if we have a baby?  This will by my husband's first biological child and my ex-husband basically has all of my son's things from when he was a baby.  I have some clothes, but that's really all, so I am starting from scratch.  

I am jsut wondering if it's appropriate to have a shower?  

Thanks.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM
I would not for a 2nd baby. Have a welcoming the baby party after. To me, showers are to get started with a first baby. Showers are not for men anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RutterMama
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely!!! Babies are a celebration!

luvemboth
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM
I'm usually against showers for subsequent babies, but in this situation I think it's perfectly fine...especially if its a co-ed shower so you can celebrate dh becoming a father.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammabear413
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Yes of course it is ur celebrating a new baby
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

A baby is always a reason to celebrate :)

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Yes, I think it is appropriate for you since there will be a large distance between kids.

honeydewdid
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM

WOW, me and my SO just set up our baby registries and a FB event and invited our friends and family. SO immediately got a call from his mom "You can't have a baby shower, you already have a baby." Well this is our first baby, we are celebrating OUR baby, second, my son who is 15 months old is not his and has no baby stuff because guess what, I was previously married and never planned to have another child, third, he was not even a part of his son's (who is 3 months) baby shower. 

Good thing he was on the phone and not me because I would have told her, well we are celebrating our baby and if you think we don't need anything because both of us already have a young child then don't bring anything. It isn't about the stuff anyway, though we really need help with some of the big ticket items, but maybe because neither of our families have met so why not bring them all together and celebrate a new life. 

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Yes it is. Someone else should give it for you, though.  Good luck!

edited: I thought I should mention that customs are different in different areas. Around here someone else gives the shower, but some places it is fine for the parents to give it. Just as around here they are only for women, but some places have both men and women and children attend.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM

It's always okay to celebrate a baby!

It doesn't have to be overboard so just be cool.  :)

My first got her own baby shower and my second girl- we had a birthday party for the first girl with a 'also welcoming baby Sosie' angle to it. So it was to celebrate both and they each got a few things. Worked fine.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM

good

Quoting honeydewdid:

WOW, me and my SO just set up our baby registries and a FB event and invited our friends and family. SO immediately got a call from his mom "You can't have a baby shower, you already have a baby." Well this is our first baby, we are celebrating OUR baby, second, my son who is 15 months old is not his and has no baby stuff because guess what, I was previously married and never planned to have another child, third, he was not even a part of his son's (who is 3 months) baby shower. 

Good thing he was on the phone and not me because I would have told her, well we are celebrating our baby and if you think we don't need anything because both of us already have a young child then don't bring anything. It isn't about the stuff anyway, though we really need help with some of the big ticket items, but maybe because neither of our families have met so why not bring them all together and celebrate a new life. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured