Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Not sure what to do please advise

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM
  • 17 Replies

We are broke, I have enough to pay the rent and the car insurance but only about 20 bucks left until next thursday.  My Dad said I could call anytime we needed any help since I am out of work and desperatly trying to find a job.  We just called him on New Years eve after having to buy a new dryer.  We only borrowed 100. I don't want to have to call him again.  I have a friend I can borrow it from but I will have to pay her back before she goes out of town on the 28th but I wont be able to pay her back until the 2nd when dh gets paid again.  ughhhh if dh's work had not been so low over the holidays we wouldn't be in this situation. 

We do not have to pay my dad back anything until we are back on our feet but we do go up and clean his house and work in his yard 

Calling dh family is a waste of time, they never have any money and wouldnt send it anyway if they did. 

I was trying to figure out if the rent check would clear before next thursday (we moved in the middle of the month so rent not due until today.) Since Monday is a holiday, I was thinking it might take a little longer for the check to clear but don't want to take that chance to bounce it.  But then again if it doesn't clear until Thursday when my unemployment comes in thats still going to put us short and needing to borrow the following week too arrrgghhh!!!  I don't know what to do.  sick and tired of being broke!!!

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Banks are pretty fast these days, so I wouldn't push it hoping the check won't be cashed.  If you think you're going to need a little extra for gas or groceries, it sounds like asking your dad for help is the best thing to do.  Hopefully a job opportunity will come up for you soon.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, ask your dad, and try to make some money by babysitting if you can or some other job- maybe you could work a few hours when your husband is home.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM

This. Craigslist usually has interesting little opportunities to do something. GL!

Quoting Bmat:

I agree, ask your dad, and try to make some money by babysitting if you can or some other job- maybe you could work a few hours when your husband is home.

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Thanks.  I know asking my dad is the best thing to do, I just hate it.  I hate being in this position. 

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I have been job hunting since Sept.  I have run into oh we would love to hire you but we can't pay you what you are worth, or no calls at all.  I would love to find something to do from home. 

My kids are teens and I would rather not start babysitting, I worked at the daycare my kids went too many years ago and gagged while changing a toddlers pants cause he was not in a pullup and pooped in his underwear.

I just feel kinda useless right now and probably some depression thrown in.  Things are looking better for dh and his work, it is picking up, but wont help until his next check.  I am getting unemployment, I don't know how people stay on it so long voluntarily, cause I averaged mine out on a 40 hr work week and I make about 5.25 an hour. 

prdmama1154
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM
I know it sucks but you should ask Dad again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mistweave
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Have you applied for workfirst and unemployment?  You can stack those two checks to maybe make it for a little while until you can get back on your feet.

Mistweave
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I see where you're getting unemployment sorry, I was looking at your original post.  I would say apply for workfirst as well.

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Don't chance it with the bank. Call your dad, apologize to him because you know you just borrowed money and offer to pay something back on the second. Don't borrow from your friend.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jebekarue
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM

What is workfirst?  I have never heard of it here in FL.

Quoting Mistweave:

I see where you're getting unemployment sorry, I was looking at your original post.  I would say apply for workfirst as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)