Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

stuffed animals

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM
  • 10 Replies
How do I sanitize my sons stuffed animals? He got a bunch for Christmas that talk and sing etc. but I don't feel comfortable giving him anything that's not sanitized first. So how to sanitize them without messing anything up?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM

you could stick them in the freezer...but that might mess them up...

what about one of those steam thingy's that take the wrinkles outta clothes..(i'm having a brain fart as to what theyre actually called..lol)

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM
I know you can put stuff in a plastic bag for several days to kill bugs and stuff. Maybe spray some febreeze and stick it in a bag. Otherwise if you wash it you will ruin it. LOL that was ok with me thought for some of the talking stuffed animals my daughter got!
Shygirl951
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM
I know what you mean lol

Quoting alexis_06:

you could stick them in the freezer...but that might mess them up...

what about one of those steam thingy's that take the wrinkles outta clothes..(i'm having a brain fart as to what theyre actually called..lol)

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

spray with a lysol type spray.   Unless he is immune compromised, a bit of germs will not hurt but i understand the wariness with flu season.

yperez0209
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Maybe the ones that don't have any type of mechanical thing in them you can stick in the dryer. Personally I don't like stuffed animals because I feel they are just dust collectors. My kids have asthma and allergies so we try to stay away from them.

TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

See if you can remove the electronics then wash the animals. If not, I sprayed my sons heavily with Lysol and let them dry several hours. I don't think Febreze is a disinfectant.  Most viruses and bacterias have a "shelf life" and die if there's no host so putting them in sealed bags might be effective. IDK how long though....might not be practical. 

cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:11 AM
Why do you need to sanitize them first? Were they used?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heidi749
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I would just spray them with lysol.

PerfectVirgo
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:43 AM
That sucks. I always throw mine in the washer. :/ I wonder if you could do a cycle in the dryer without messing up the electronics? I'd try with one. Just take out the batteries!
sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Jan. 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

actually i would suggest hand washing the outside with dish detergent and water then let them air dry then the electronic part wont get wet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)