Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Raising a Tween!

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi!  I am a single mom and have a beautiful, wonderful, ever growing young lady.  Can anyone offer advice for navigating hormone changes and attitude adjustments without making your child want to hibernate in her room??

#Imissmylittleprincess!

Thank you!

Lisa 

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM

What is the #imissmylittleprincess for? I don't get it.....

Anyway, when I was a tween, I remember wanting to talk to my mom about certian things but was embarraced. So she got me a journal, and said, if you ever want me to read anything to wrote, just let me know, otherwise, this is your private space to write what you want. 
It really did help.
Good luck 

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Welcome... at her age, it's pretty normal to hide off in the bedroom to listen to music, write, read, talk to her friends on the phone, etc.  I'd just encourage family activities that you can do together... family movie night, pedicures/manicures, etc.

Quoting gr8txpectations:

Hi!  I am a single mom and have a beautiful, wonderful, ever growing young lady.  Can anyone offer advice for navigating hormone changes and attitude adjustments without making your child want to hibernate in her room??

#Imissmylittleprincess!

Thank you!

Lisa 

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Welcome to the group, Lisa! Like amonkeymom said, it's pretty normal for a tween to want to spend more time in her room than anywhere else - my girls are 11 and 12 and that's where they practically live these days. We get them out of their rooms by encouraging things like giving each other manicures, watching movies, playing games, etc., just so we can be together, but I don't ever force the issue with them since that just makes them want to hole up more.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:37 PM

This is great advice. I have boys, but I think tween behavior is pretty much the same. Hormones are changing, they are stuck between being little kids and big kids and not sure which way to lean. Just keep doing what you are doing, and definitely visit the Tween Titans group. The moms there are awesome.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Every Tuesday with Us!

Quoting bamababe1975:

Welcome to the group, Lisa! Like amonkeymom said, it's pretty normal for a tween to want to spend more time in her room than anywhere else - my girls are 11 and 12 and that's where they practically live these days. We get them out of their rooms by encouraging things like giving each other manicures, watching movies, playing games, etc., just so we can be together, but I don't ever force the issue with them since that just makes them want to hole up more.

gr8txpectations
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Thank you all for the comments! I love the mani/pedi night idea this really helps!

Lisa
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)