Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Liar

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 5 Replies

Any advice on handling lies?  My daugther has started lying about everything/anything to the point I don't know what to believe.

Sometimes it's to pull pranks, which I told her pranks are funny and okay, however you need to fess up and laugh with everybody, you can't keep them up.

Once she found a bracelet which she really liked.  I told her first off you don't pick things up you find in the parking lot, but if you do you need to bring it to the lost and found because the owner will want it back. Next day she says she found the owner who said she could have it. I asked her who it was and she said a girl from school.  I am friends with her father so I said I would shoot him a Facebook message just to thank him for raising such a thoughtful child. So my daughter says, oh no, it was a different girl.  The other girl she named we see walking to school every morning, so I said alright, we'll thank her and her mother in the morning. She played it right to the end and ran up to her to whisper in her ear what she'd done, so I went straight to her mother and asked if her daughter had a similar bracelet, and of course no she didn't.  I let my daughter continue to school and waited until she got home and I cooled off to approach her. I told her that I was tempted to call the school and have them announce over the loud speaker so the entire school could hear that she needed to return the stolen bracelet to the office.  I told her I would give her one more chance to do the right thing and bring the bracelet to lost and found the next day, otherwise I would do just that. So the next morning I walked her into school and she put the bracelet in the box.

I'm not sure what repricussions would be suitable when I discover she's lying and what I should do/say to her.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Hmm perhaps talk to her teacher or principal on how to handle this?  Was it an expensive bracelet like a gold/silver one or plastic one?  We explain to dd that it is someones possession and how would she feel if she lost something she loved yet another little girl took it home with her instead.

2manydiapers
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM
How old is she?

You could explain that even though the owner lost it, her keeping it is the same as stealing. Remind her how bad it is to steal. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pharnam
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM

She is 9 and the bracelet was plastic, but I didn't treat is anything of little value because it was just a plastic bracelet.  I think I got through to her on stealing, it's more the little lies she tells that I'm trying to nip in the bud and let her know it's not okay. I'm just not sure how to get through to her on that.  She lies about washing her hands, where she put her clothes, if her recorder is in her backpack, if she made her bed. Things that she knows I can easily check and will check but she tries it anyway, over and over again. I keep telling her I'm afraid these lies will grow into bigger lies as she grows and could even progress into bad actions. But I don't think she understands/cares.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't had to deal with this too much with my girls, but I have this webpage bookmarked since it has some good advice for dealing with that: http://www.empoweringparents.com/How-to-Deal-with-Lying-in-Children-and-Teens.php

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Imo I would put her in time out 10 min nose in corner every time she lies. Then make her do whatever it is she said she did but she didn't, example: making her bed. My girls are still little but that's what I would do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)