Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Im so overwhelmed

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:15 PM
  • 13 Replies
I am a single mom of a 13 month old and 3.5 yr old. My 13 month old has to be held constantly and he won't go to sleep unless I nurse him. He wakes up on an average of 5 times a night. He has epi pens and is extremely allergic to dairy and peanuts so I have to watch my 3,yr old like a hawk if he has cheese or something. We are a peanut free house. My 3 year old always needs to be entertained and is so loud. I can barely make dinner without my baby pulling at my leg crying for me to pick him up. He can't self sooth and I mean I try to put him in his crib with a sippy and his stuffed puppy and blanky and even if I rub his back he screams so loud and doesn't stop. Both my kids got the noroviruis from the daycare center and I've been up for the last week with them puking, having diarrhea, crying and I had to take a week off work. Again I'm a single mom and have no vacation or sick time s my paycheck is going to be bad. I'm crying right now because I'm so worn down and exhausted and wish I could get sleep at night or my baby could self sooth. I just needed to vent and I have the worst headache ever.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

*hugs* I'm so sorry. I wish I knew something that could help you out.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I know it goes against wanting to break the behavior but wear that kid.

A sturdy ergo off craigslist and you could be hands free in the evening.

Make a schedule and stick to it for the 3yo. When he knows what to expect it will get better.

Have some time for mommy entertaining and some time for self entertaining.

Gl!
yroder2003
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Awww, sweety I am so sorry. That has to be hard to be doing it all on your own and having 2 very dependent children. Do you have family that could take them for a few hrs to give you a little break?
ktinaza
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
I live with my mom right now but she is gone a lot and she was a single mother also so she's not the type that wants to take the kids she says she's already done this. She helps out sometimes but won't take them ...I'm always home with them when I'm not at work. I can't remember the last time I went out to dinner, or a movie, or anything.

Quoting yroder2003:

Awww, sweety I am so sorry. That has to be hard to be doing it all on your own and having 2 very dependent children. Do you have family that could take them for a few hrs to give you a little break?
ktinaza
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM
I have a sling and he hates it. He's such a wiggle worm.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Make a schedule and stick to it for the 3yo. When he knows what to expect it will get better.

Gl!
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol! Even those that are married don't get that! Get over that real fast so you don't get resentful.

Find a mops group maybe. They're amazing with the kids, feed you breakfast and you get mommy convo.

Asking others to take your kids is never the answer imo.

Quoting ktinaza:

I live with my mom right now but she is gone a lot and she was a single mother also so she's not the type that wants to take the kids she says she's already done this. She helps out sometimes but won't take them ...I'm always home with them when I'm not at work. I can't remember the last time I went out to dinner, or a movie, or anything.

Quoting yroder2003:

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Oh, my God. That sounds really rough. I'm sorry I don't have a lot of great advice, but do you belong to a church or synagogue that has a caring team or something like that in place to help you? Is there a single moms' support group in your area? Do you have any family nearby?

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:44 PM
I bet he does!

Try an ergo backpack type. Something sturdy and safe for you. Or put a gate at the kitchen so you can work.

As long as the kids only eat at the table, I wouldn't worry about the kid giving tbr baby cheese and such.

Quoting ktinaza:

I have a sling and he hates it. He's such a wiggle worm.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Gl!

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Also, regarding your 13-month-old's sleep, that sounds really rough and not only are you exhausted (and no wonder!) but if he's waking up five times a night he's probably not getting the rest he needs, which is going to make him fussier and fight sleep more.

I would highly recommend that you read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child--we used it and it totally changed our lives. Even if you don't want to sleep train, his advice on bedtime routines, limits, etc. is very helpful. Does your baby have a consistent bedtime routine?

supermomz25
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I am so sorry. do you have any friends or family nearby that would be willing to help out?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)