Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

indepentant kidos

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM
  • 6 Replies

How old were your kids when they started doing things like washing their hair, bodies and brushing their teeth by themselves. My dd is 5 and my dh thinks I baby her because I wash her hair and still brush her teeth, he gets annoyed if I ask him to help her when I am busy and says she is old enough to do it herself. I am just wondering if she should be doing these things alone yet because it seems to me that she is just too little still.

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM
my 5 year old started at 4ish
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Yes, your child needs to be doing these things a long time ago. Help rinsing the hair, maybe. Brushing teeth, mine started aroiund 3 doing it alone and I would give a quick finish. By 5 they should be very independent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM

brushing teeth, washing bodies about age 5.  We still help her with her hair.  She will be 7 in march.

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:12 PM

my DD who is 3, just started to wash her own hair, shes been brushing her teeth since she could (and she goes to the dentist every 6 months since she was 1) and they said she does a great job (no cavities, no plaque)

she dresses herself, the only things she still has problems with is wiping her ass when she craps.

she washes her body and all.

i make sure she is rinsed completely after her shower, but for the most part she does it all on her own.  most of her friends are the same way

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM

My boys were 4 & 5.  That's because they didn't have long hair or anything.  My daughter is 4, but it'll be some time before I trust her to thoroughly wash her hair.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:30 PM
My daughter is 5...showers by herself (I am nearby) and brushes her teeth. We started this about 3 months ago, though. She also has things to finish before pre-k during the week. Feed the pets, make her bed, get dressed.

I think it's a good age to encourage independence.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)