Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

ok so I have an issue. I have a 6 year old daughter who is in first grade. There is another girl in her class, who I honestly don't care for ( she lives in my neighborhood and just is too grown for her age). So my daughter writes stories in her journal, but I guess on the bus ride this other girl wrote in it and wrote "I love you. You and I having sex. From Ryan to elizabeth. " I was very shocked when I seen this. I talked to my daughter about it and she said this girl wrote that even though my daughter didn't want her to write in the book. Now I do believe my daughter because that is not her handwriting and I usually can tell if she is lying.

so my question is do I talk to her school knowing it happened there or maybe the parent, but i dont want any issues with the parent so i figured since it happened at school maybe the school can talk to her parents about what she is writing. Any thoughts would be helpful!

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
Onemiracle
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:34 AM

One thing to consider.  If the journal will be reviewed by the teacher at some point, you might want to add a note along with that entry with an explaination that you have seen this and dealt with it... so dd doesn't hear about it again.

lnr187
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM

i would talk to the school. the teacher can keep a closer eye on them, or specifically the other girl. if stuff like this continues, the school can contact the parents for a conference.

crystal1213
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I ripped that page out of her journal. I don't need my daughter re-writing the sentence on things. I called the school and have an appointment to speak with the principle. The principle is such a sweetheart, I just want it to be known just in case things keep happening, at least they will know for the future.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM

The little girl probably has older siblings who are listening to crappy inappropriate music and watching adult content TV. But it is possible that she's been molested so I think the best course would be to let the school know, and they can handle it.

GELiz
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It is appropriate to show the journal entry to her teacher (your dd's) and let her know of your concerns. Since this happened on the bus, the school should know about it. they might only speak with the girl- but you need to make sure that all personell know that your daughter is not to be left alone with this other girl- in the restroom or whatever.

crystal1213
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Yes she does have an older brother who is 12. She actually lives down the street from me. Her parents just let her roam around the neighborhood in the summer time and she hangs out with a girl who is 11. Today was the first day back to school since I seen this in her diary and my daughter told me she really didn't talk to her today she played with her other friends. I just talked to her and explained about why I would rather her not hang out with her and what is appropriate language and what is not. It is definitely hard being a parent.

mamakin616
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I would calll and make an appoitment to go see the guidance counselor at the school,bring the journal so they can see it,I'm sure the girls teacher can identify her writing,and ask that your daughter be moved away from this girl on the bus.First grade is awfully young for a little girl to be writing and knowing things like this in my opinion.I just went throgh a similar situation last week where a girl was told my 6 year old girl that she was going to shove something sharp and pointy down her throat if she didn't do what she told her to do,my daughter came in off the bus crying and said "that will kill me and I won't get to see you and my brother and sister ever again" It made me cry .I called the school and they pulled the video from the bus and this other child has been doing alot worse than making threats to several kids in her reach,pinching,kicking,pulling their hair,none of them dared to tell .She has been moved to the seat directly behind the driver..

crystal1213
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I have an update. So I talked to the school and they said they would take care of it. My daughter came home today and said the girl left early from school. I also then received a phone call from her mother. I have not called her mom back yet. I am waiting for my husband to come home first, but I feel bad. I hope she did not get in trouble but instead was talked to about what she wrote. Her mother said she was distraught and upset of what had happened. I don't want her to feel I went behind her back instead of talking to her since she does live in my neighborhood.

briley1231
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I WOULD, WITHOUT A DOUBT, TALK WITH THE TEACHER. I ALSO WOULD NOT LET MY CHILD ASSOCIATE WITH HER. i WOULD EXPLAIN TO HER THAT SHE IS INNAPROPRIATE AND DOES NOT MAKE GOOD CHOICES.

crystal1213
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, that was all done. Thank you! I put an update right above your comment.

Quoting briley1231:

I WOULD, WITHOUT A DOUBT, TALK WITH THE TEACHER. I ALSO WOULD NOT LET MY CHILD ASSOCIATE WITH HER. i WOULD EXPLAIN TO HER THAT SHE IS INNAPROPRIATE AND DOES NOT MAKE GOOD CHOICES.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)