Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

spanking?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

What is your opinion on spanking? Yes? No? When do you feel it is appropriate to give them? How often? I have heard different stories from different people and I'm just wondering how everyone feels and if they use this method.

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raegan1221
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I agree with them as a last resort. Spanking more hurts feelings than actually physically hurts most times. There's a line between spanking and abuse and people need to be very careful not to cross it, and to never use spanking as a controlling/dominating role.

MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Spanking is a big no for us.I don't see it as an effective method of discipline at all.

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM
We don't do that in our family.
Bleacheddecay
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:41 PM
3 moms liked this

I think spanking is a lousy way of trying to enforce rules with kids. I was spanked often and it made me, fearful, angry and sneaky.

Time out used right and the restriction of privileges is far more effect.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:59 AM
1 mom liked this

i got spanked as a child and it did NOTHING for me..except make me think it was ok to hit.  i remember thinking why cant my parents just TALK to me..and EXPLAIN stuff..rather than just say "because i said so.." 

i used to spank my daughter (not often, because really, she was a good kid)...but one day when she was about 5 (shes 8 now), i was getting ready to smack her lil bum, and i looked at her..and i saw ME! and that fear in her eyes..omg..it just about killed me! i burst into tears..and hugged her and told her i would never spank her again. 

piwife
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I spank. Last resort. And actually we only spank mostly for lying. Other then that we use time outs, or workout drills, or writting drills, or doing chores. Or I take things away. Reason I don't spank that much is my kids rather get spank then have to do chores or the other stuff. So given the choice the choose the 2 swats on the butt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superwoman8977
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I spank.  My children know I am the boss and they know what punishment is.  I dont redirect, timeouts, etc although I have begun taking away priviledges.  But my kids behave so I use less and less punishments

stacefaceninja
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:54 AM

We don't spank. 

I just can't wrap my head around thinking it's ok to hit your children. Ever. I guess I'm just lucky and have good kids that don't need spanking. *takes a bow*

-If for any reason you feel an urge to correct my grammar, spelling, or punctuation, please suppress this urge. You are not important enough to me to spend time editing before I post.  I will just laugh at you-

JaniceMorrison
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:57 AM

The short answer - no, for me personally the moment when I need to spank my Liza is when I fault as a mother. Certainly I'm talking about myself only. 

momamanda
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I only spank when they won't listen and I need to get thier attention. Mostly just my 5 year old gets them now. Like when  she is playng outside and does something she is not suppose to do and I tell her to go inside and instead she runs away If I have to chase her she will get a spanking. If I put her in time out and she decides to get up before time out is over she gets spanked. it's always the last resort in my house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)