Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

When should I talk to my daughter about her period?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:03 AM
  • 12 Replies

I have a ten year old daughter (she will be eleven in April) and I have been thinking about when the right age is to talk to her about her period. I don't want to do it to be to late because, of course, I want her to know all about it before it starts. I also don't want to tell her to early and have her freak out about it. Any suggestions?

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emariec89
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Now. I got my period when I was 11. You never know when it might happen.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:17 AM

I would do it now all the body talk stuff.  Ask her if she has any specific questions she would like to ask you and look into books for this age about a girls body.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:17 AM

My dd who is 6 vaguely knows what a period is since she watches me change pads.

Alejandra10
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:19 AM
i would do it now I got my first period at age 9
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xElizabethx
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:20 AM

After you've had a couple beers....j/k...kind of...

DD got her period at 11. We had a mini talk at 10 and another one a couple months before she got her period when we started to notice some puberty-related changes. When she actually got her period we had the full on talk. By that point she had been through two talks about it at school (once at the end of 4th grade and again at the end of 5th).

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:44 AM

my daughter is 8 and she knows a lil bit about it...kids these days start younger and younger...so probably in a year or so (with my daughter) i will have a full on talk with her about it.  :(  they grow up to fast!

Jennifer63080
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:47 AM

I don't know. My dd is 8 and is starting to get boobs!  It could just be because she's a little chubby. But I got my period at 10. I really really dread the whole sex talk. My mother never told me a thing :/

DragonMother10
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 3:50 AM
Now is the right time. When I was in elementary, in the 4th grade, they gathered the girls and had the nurse talk to us about periods. I got mine when I was 11, on Friday the 13th. Lucky me! It's never too soon to talk to your daughter about periods.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Depends. I knew mine would start later. The school talked to my oldest later 5th grade so before that, I told her. She was 12 in 6th grade. My youngest was 14 and I knew she would be later. I was going to tell her later but friends decided to tell her and give her totally wrong info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
urbpro
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:01 AM

My dd's are 5 and 8 and they know all about it. The 8 yos understand it better of course but I've been explaining it ever since they were little. I have 5 kids and the older ones were all there when the little ones were born so they also know where babies come from. They've SEEN it, lol! I would explain it to your daughter now. It's not a big secret and certainly nothing to be ashamed or frightened of. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN