Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How do I get my 16 month old to eat??

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:13 AM
  • 14 Replies

My son is 16 months now and he just won't eat... Every once in a while, he'll have a few bites of something but he usually doesn't eat. He likes snack-y things and will eat them almost all the time but I want him to have healthy things too. I want him to have a balanced diet and eat a variety of foods.

Any one else been there?? Any suggestions ?? Thanks! :)

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aj2011
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Has your son eaten those things before? It took awhile for my son to eat certain things. It helps that he snacks though. Try and try again with foods. Also if he's eating try not to have distractions around him like the t.v. or his toys. I'm not sure what else to say. Giving him the freedom to choose what he eats sometimes makes it easier. I don't give my son snacks all the time, but it is what he wants sometimes and I learned over time that forcing/ fighting him to eat what I wanted him to eat was a losing battle :(

KerryK
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:27 AM
Make healthy foods "snacky". Cut cheese and meat into bite size pieces, same with fruits and veggies. My dd liked to snack on plain kidney beans when she was that age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TYKmomJAK
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:28 AM

I have tried bite sized EVRYTHING lol he just wont eat it, he throws it down or on occasion will put it in his mouth but then spit it back out :/

TYKmomJAK
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:30 AM

I also sit him at the table with just the 2 of us or the family but he is just stubborn. He won't eat anything off a spoon or fork anymore. He also will throw things down or spit them out when I try new food or textures or sizes..

KerryK
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:32 AM
Hmmmmm, my daughter was always happy to feed herself so that usually worked. Does he try to eat your food if you don't give him any? Maybe you can trick him that way? How much milk is he drinking? Maybe he just isn't hungry because he has too much milk?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KerryK
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:37 AM
One more question, when he does eat, or try something does he gag at all? Or are there certain textures he seems to be ok with but not others? My niece had to have therapy when she was not much older because she would gag and choke on anything thicker than milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TYKmomJAK
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 4:49 AM

I try tricking him by giving him things off my plate and by eating his food first and saying "MMM SO GOOD" and things like that, i tried the "airplane spoon" and many other tricks, he shakes his head no and whines. I try very hard to limit his fluids so he will eat, I give him milk, juice and water throughout the day and I try not to keep his cup filled constanty right by hs side so he doesn't sit and fill up on fluids..He seems to be ok as far as gaging and textures.. nothing wrong there, just not wanting to eat. I have asked man people and they all say "he'll eat when hes hungry" or "its a stage" but i am starting to get worried :/

scubamommy2001
by Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM

My son did that.  I stopped giving him snacks.  If he wouldn't eat his meals there were no snacks.  And I kept up with offering the same foods he would refuse at first.  It does take a while for a new food or texture to be accepted.  If you give in and give him the foods he likes after refusing other foods you are going to have a much harder time getting him to eat the foods you want him to eat.  It's similar to rewarding bad behavior.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Just don't offer anything that's not healthy... no crackers or cookies, juice, etc... give a set amount of milk and then water and let him eat what he will.   There's nothing wrong with "snacking", as long as it's all healthy foods.

TYKmomJAK
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I cant just refuse my son and not give him the things he WILL eat after refusing other things... I want tips on how to get him to try the new things. I'm sorry, but I will not simply just not feed my kid cuz he wont eat what I want him to eat...I do imit his snacks and I have gotten him fruits and veggie chips, i get the juice that also has vegetables in it and i limit his amount that he drinks..  I just wanted to know if it was normal and if anyone had a trick they used to get their kid to eat..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)