Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How to find an organization to help get things to troops overseas

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM
  • 2 Replies

A parent at my kids' school has asked me to try to set up a sort of toiletry drive for troops still overseas. He pointed out that these types of programs have fallen out of the public eye since so many troops were brought home in the past year or so, and has many military family members and friends who have commented on how this brings many of them down mentally/emotionally (active as well veterans). 

I'd love to do this, but I need to find an organization to help us actually get things to the troops. We're a low income district and, in a school with 520 students, we have 6 parent volunteers. I'm confident that any items we ask to be donated will come pouring in (our district's winter coat drives, food drives, etc, are very, very successful every year). But we do not have the funds, people-power, or basic knowledge to get things sent to troops.

I don't know where to start. We're in western NY. Any advice or resources you can share would be a huge help!

by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Hi! Have you checked the Military moms group?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/107984

Rene66
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:07 AM

I don't really know a lot about this so I'm just putting it out there. I know that the girl scouts send donated gs  cookies to the troops. If you google your local girl scout council I would think they could some how help you or send you in the right direction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)