Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Tanning Beds 2x Worse Than Sun - Do you treat yourself to a tan once or twice a winter?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:06 PM
  • 15 Replies

Tanning Beds Are Twice as Bad for You as Lying Out in the Sun

Posted by Lindsay Mannering on January 17, 2013

tanningboothIf you're wondering who the asshole is who was really tired of a week straight of gray, dreary weather in New York City and decided it was justified (vitamin D, people!) to take advantage of a tanning salon's offer of three tans for the price of one, that would be me. Of course, the day after I had my first glorious, warm, incubated tanning bed session, I hear about a new study that's revealed that fake 'n' bake is twice as harmful as lying out in the real sun.

I mean, I knew it wasn't great for you, but twice as bad? That's kind of a lot. Here's what the researchers found:

A woman who goes tanning indoors for 10 minutes is twice as likely to get skin cancer from the experience than one who sits by the pool or on the beach in the sun for 10 minutes. They also found that people who use a tanning bed when they're under the age of 35 increase their risk of malignant melanoma by 90 percent.

I think most of us are aware that using tanning beds is a big no-no these days, but it's important to keep reminding yourself that even as few as 10 minutes under the gorgeous blue glow of those bulbs can be hazardous to our health. And trust me, I know how hard it is to resist their warm embrace when it's 34 degrees outside and it hasn't stopped raining in six days, but still, stay strong we must.

California's banned tanning for anyone under the age of 18, and as studies continue to prove just how horrible UV radiation really is, maybe, just maybe we'll start to listen. We sort of have to.

Do you treat yourself to a tan once or twice a winter?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

NOPE!  Melanoma runs in my family so I use tons of sunscreen and stay FAR AWAY from tanning salons.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM

No, never have. My mom tans like crazy though. She has a membership to a tanning place too :( SMH

-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM

My doctor told me that I should go tanning 2 or 3 times a month in the winter (because I have a vitamin D deficiency) but only use stand up tanning beds and only for 5 to 10 minutes at a time.  I can't remember why but he had some explanation as to why you should only use stand up tanning beds.  Something about the types of rays. 

I don't do it though because I'm heat intolerant (stupid autoimmune disease).  I just take vitamin D pills.  :-)

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM
I have tanned in the past but not for years. Too boring and costly.

I'm a lay-by-the-river girl. .)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't in years... not since I found out how bad they are for you.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Nope.  I use lots of sunscreen.

BnAJsMommy
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Nope.  Can't afford that shit anyway, my father in law got me a membership to a tanning salon and it made me so unformfortable.  I was clastrophobic and paranoid about cancer, pink eye and the herp in my eye because of all the warnings they had placed out all over the place. Granted, I looked pretty damn good for the two times I went but it was a complete waste of his money.  Oh well.

KatherineM
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Don't need a tanning bed I live in Hawaii sunny 90 % of the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I had no idea. I had heard that tanning beds were dangerous, but twice is a surprise. No I've never used a tanning bed. My dermatologist says try to get 10 and no more than 10 minutes of sunlight a day to get natural Vit D.

nmk3
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I'm doomed. I was a serious tanner back in the 90's. Dark brown all year round.  I go every once in a while now.  Yes, I know it's terrible.  I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, drive too fast, etc.  I guess this is my very-unhealthy vice.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN