Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

i have a 6 month old son and some times he will jut cry. he has been fed, changed, not to cld, not to hot, not hurting, took tylonal, and even tryed to play with him.  sometimes he wants nothing but to cry. i just dont know what to do with him. sometimes i just have to let him cry for a little and then he is fine... am i a bad mom?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
3lilladies81
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM
He may be begging to cut teeth. Try rubbing a cool washcloth on his gums. Teething is NO fun and he is the right age for it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Why did you give him tylenol for crying?
Tylenol should only be used for high fever, no 99 is not a fever.

Try wearing him. 

brookealexis
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Quoting JZB:

Silent reflux? Sometimes babies just cry

GELiz
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Have you tired the drops that can help with gas bubbles? sometimes it is just their digestive system giving them fits. You are not a  bad mom. You are a new mom, and sometimes we do not know why they are crying.  Soon, he will settle down. Ask your phamicist about those drops, they really hlep with gas bubbles.

brookealexis
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:08 PM

yeah he is teething and even when he isnt teething he still crys and acts like he just wants to cry no matter what i do. so sometimes i do have to just lay him in his bed and let him cry for a few mins then he stops. but i cant when im in my grandmas house because she thinks im being a bad mom when i just let him cry but bentley just got his shots and i asked the doc. about just letting him cry and he said it was fine and that he will sooth himself and my g ma is so hard headed that she said that the doc. was wrong... but im going to listen to the doc. because im sure he knows what he is talking about i mean he went to school to become a baby doc. sigh...its just hard trying to be a good mom without being stressed and being told that your a bad mom for doing what the doc. told you to do.... confused, annoyed and stressed!

MeghMirab
by Meghan on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I don't know either of your histories so it's hard to say why exactly he would be crying. You can make a list of all the things you need to try and try them out. See what works for him and what would be his one (or two, or there) things that sooth him. Swing, vibrating swing, holding him and dancing to music, laying down snuggling, taking a bath etc. Usually water ='s no more tears! Water does wonders! Depending on his skin type, he can have several of them a day. You can try different soothing things in the water, toys, oils etc. 

Sometimes babies just need a change of scenary. It's good that you know to back away for a little bit and collect yourself. It's hard to help a baby stop crying when you are frustrated and want to cry yourself. It happens to the best of us! I am a firm believer that they don't cry for no reason, there is always at least one thing that will comfort them you just need to find it. (: It might take a little bit, but when you do, you will be so happy you searched. They cannot talk so sadly them crying is letting you know they need something. 

6m+ is a good time to start teaching them sign language. Baby Sign Language is a way to communicate with a baby as young as six months old. Using hand gestures a baby can communicate, often more than a year before they can speak. Then HE can tell you what's wrong. Making signs for hungry, sleepy, tummy hurts etc. Good luck to you both. I'm sure you're a great team and will figure it out. *hugs*

queen_k0302
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:27 PM
My dd's pediatrician did say it's not very common but some babies have an extreme amount of pain with teething and otc just don't help. Around 6 months my dd would cry and scream constantly. While at my older dds dentist appt, i couldn't console her. He took a look at her mouth and noticed her front bottom teeth were angled. He said it hurts more. He sent a letter with his finding to her pedi and prescribed tylanol with codine, only for the really difficult times. The pain was more intense from being tired and not being able to sleep. I have only had to give it to her about 5 times only at night. 4 teeth cut all at once. You can see in my avi. She is cutting 4them more and doing good this time. Good luck. Ssl
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
prisonblues
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Every baby is different so what ever is working with your child is what is best to do, and no I dont think your a bad mom

sue9607
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Aw, hun, you are not a bad mom, and I remember feeling that way when my boys wouldn't stop crying.... as long as you have checked for everything, fever etc., sounds like you have, babies need to cry, it is the only way they can be vocal... I would say that if the crying persists try some white noise, like turning on the vaccuum cleaner or washer/dryer, taking the baby for a car ride... the vaccuum was the ONLY thing my youngest son would fall asleep too, even in the middle of the night, ugh, but it worked until he learned to sleep on his own.  Remember it doesn't last forever as we seem to think it will at the time.  Remember to always sleep when he does so you are well rested enough to deal with the difficult trying times of listening to the crying, I would be in tears sometimes, most of the time!  If all else fails and it's been over an hour of crying, I'd see the doc just to make sure everything is ok.  And regular check ups for him will put your mind at ease!  Take care of yourself, you HAVE to remember to get enough sleep so that you don't get down and out!xx All the best and hope this helped a bit, let me know if you need to chat!!!

brookealexis
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM

thank you to every one that helped and gave me advice :) He is starting to slowly learn to sooth himself. its just hard on me when i have my g ma like that and when my husband is at work she is my only help untill my mother in law gets off work. but agian thank you to everyone :) im glad i have people that wont put me down when i make a wrong move or something. haha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)