Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Administering medications

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:04 AM
  • 9 Replies
My daughter is 2 1/2 and has always taken tylenol without a complaint. Well, after a week of being sick for the first time, tylenol has made an impact on her for not making her feel better.
Finally after 2 doctor visits we find out she has all 3 strands of strep.
She has two antibiotics, 4 mL each. Last night after 2 hours of asking my husband had to hold her down while I forced her to take it. I cried from doing it and can't do that 3 times daily for 10 days to her!!!!!
I've put it in everything imaginable and she wont eat it. She didn't see me put it in it.
Any ideas on how to make this easier on everyone??????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
heidi749
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM

First time I had to give DS meds he was a little over 3, wow not fun, I found putting it with a bit of 100% pure fruit juice, was the easisiest way to get him to take it. I do not really like him to drink allot of juice. So me giving him juice was a treat, but it had the meds in it. The other year he got bronchites, I put it in the juice, and then put it in one of the empty ice cube slots, threw a stick in it, and made him a little frezzer pop with his meds. Before I figured out the juice way, I put it in a dropper and held him from behind with him between my legs, then just kind of forced my way into his mouth with it.  Hope she gets better quickly.

JC2223
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:00 AM

My DD would only take medications from a syringe at that age. I would give her a little then have her immediately take a sip of juice after each mouth full. I also taught her to hold her nose until after she swallowed the meds then the juice, then take a breath and repeat the process until the medication was done. Holding their nose helps them not taste it. Good luck, hope she feels better soon!

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Tough. I would suggest skipping it but I guess he she has rx meds that's no good. Idk what to suggest, the syringe is a good idea.  :) 

-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM

This sounds crazy but have you tried frozen yogurt or ice cream? 

I haven't tried this (my dd likes medicine.  She's weird.) but I've heard a few moms say if you have to hold her down to administer the meds do this...hold her down, blow in her face, and immediately give her the meds.  Apparently a person's instinct is to swallow when they have air blowing in their face. 

darcibeisheim
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Freezing some meds can cause them to become unstable and ineffective.. I would not recommend you do this.

OP-- I have just learned that holding them down and feeding it to them with syringe is the quickest way.. I have a 3 year old that takes medicine on a regular basis.. Medication is not a choice, especially when it comes to scripts... so I just give it to him.. (he also gets a shot every month which anymore is the only thing he fights about-- have no choice but to hold him down and give it to him and then love on him afterwards)

Quoting heidi749:

First time I had to give DS meds he was a little over 3, wow not fun, I found putting it with a bit of 100% pure fruit juice, was the easisiest way to get him to take it. I do not really like him to drink allot of juice. So me giving him juice was a treat, but it had the meds in it. The other year he got bronchites, I put it in the juice, and then put it in one of the empty ice cube slots, threw a stick in it, and made him a little frezzer pop with his meds. Before I figured out the juice way, I put it in a dropper and held him from behind with him between my legs, then just kind of forced my way into his mouth with it.  Hope she gets better quickly.

Periwinkle Awareness RibbonEsophageal Atresia Awareness

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

bribery?  stickers or a treat?

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I would do the juice thing, but just a little bit of juice just enough to cover the taste and thickness where he can down it in 3-4 swallows, cause you want to make sure he gets the full dosage and not waste any of it.  I was so happy the day my dd learned to swallow a pill, she was 12!!!!  her tonsils were always swollen and she couldn't figure out how to swallow it no matter how hard we tried.  Finally showed her how by teaching her to swallow a pea with a drink and she finally got the hang of it. My son was swallowing pills at 5 cause he hated the liquids

Hope she feels better soon.

RAJ88
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I had the same problem with my daughter when she had a really bad ear infection. I tried everything... including holding her down (never again), hiding it in food i mean everything 5 hrs actually. Finally I gave up... while I was taking her to bed my husband was making bacon and she wanted some (her fav food) well i said she could have a piece if she took her meds... went down NP.. i suggest finding her absolute fav food and show it to her.. tell her she can have it when she takes her medicine. ...GL

mousesmommy5610
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:28 AM

my little on is almost three and she has never had a problem taking meds at all weather it was a syringe or a cup... but when i did have the problem she was maybe 9 mo old and she would spit it up and i had no u idea what to do... well i found this little measuring cup that have a bottle nipple on it worked like a charm (: they also have other things to help with the stingy kid problems they have... but i would suggest telling her that if she takes them she will feel better and wont have to take them any more and if that dont work try the bribing part if she likes yogurt or something tell her after her meds she can have it.... but i WOULD NOT mix the meds with anything my mom was a cna for a lot of yrs the only things u can mix without possibly making it not work is a crushed tablet or an emptied out capsule of meds in a spoon of jam... was our favorite to be honest... but liquids i wouldnt chance on mixing them with anything there is a reason its not already mixed for u....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN