Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I cant get him to drink anything!! :/

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:29 AM
  • 8 Replies

My 11 month old boy REFUSES to drink anything other than formula! It doesnt matter what kind of baby juices  i offfer him, he spits it all back out! he wont even drink water. We've tried several sippy cups, smalll bottle, even out of plastic cups, nada.  He recently had a tummy bug and I was worried about dehydration! Anybody have any tips on how I can convince him that liquid is his friend?? 

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

then back off for a while, and try it again next month

coreynlala
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

So, to me I feel like when we give our children options, they take advantage. When you're potty training, if you say "do you have to go potty?" They say "NO" but if you say "come on love, time to go potty." You get results. With all of the children I have ever taken care of, transitioning to a sippy cup... I'd put the sippy in front of them at first only on occasion to let them explore. Once they got the hang of it and figure out " MMM yummy stuff comes out when I do this..." That's when it's sippy or nothing. Nicely though. If the bottles are out of sight then they have to eventually drink out of the sippy. They will eventually be thirsty enough.  And no they don't dehydrate. It's only extreme if you put a negative spin on it. You could even let them see you drink out of a sippy at the same time and keep with sweet positive encouragement. It's not worth getting frustrated over. Now for the formula, try it the same way and see what happens, but be consistant. Eventually kids give in when they see mommy and daddy wont bend. If time goes by and it still wont work and there is a health concern, they do make formula for toddlers. Let baby see that it came out of the can like they're farmiliar with when making baby formula, but maybe try calling it a different name. With a taste that may not be exactly the same as regular baby formula and a name that's cool, like for my 3 year old it would be "super hero milk shake" or something silly, your kid might find it easier to transition from one to the other. And you can use this technique with  other things as they start to come up. For one child I cared for, his mother refused to take him off of a bottle and his teeth were starting to come forward, so I went out and bought him an awesome elmo cup, because elmo was his fav and we named it "Elmo Drink." Yes it was babyish but it got the job done. Mommy came to pick him up one day and we showed her what he learned. (obviously without making her feel bad. She was excited.) We gave it another week at my house before we transitioned to using one at his house.  As for being sick and dehydrated. Instead of cups and stuff, try a medicine dropper. Their little tummys get overwhelmed sometimes when they are sick and  chug down a cup, bottle ...that's why they throw it all back up. Water in a medine dropper every ten mins or so while maybe watching fav movie or something will prevent dehydration and little tummy wont get irritated and the kid might be a little more cooperative with a nice distraction. All of these are just ideas that have worked for me over the years with all the kids I've cared for. You don't have to do as do exactly as I have wrote but try putting you own personal spin on things to make it easier to stick with. It'll be ok. Like I said none of this is worth frustration.    :) Good Luck and I hope something out of this helped

funhappymom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Bummer :( Keep offering him water in a sippy when he eats.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Don't try to force him to do it but keep offering water in his sippy cup at meal times. You can also talk to the pediatrician about other ways to make sure he's drinking enough, too.

LeetjieJ
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM

At a similar stage, when my two were younger, my doctor said if I was worried about liquid intake, to make his solid food as liquid as possible & feed finger foods with high water content.

yroder2003
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:23 PM
My daughter didn't like to drink anything other then formula also. Don't know if it's still around, my daughter loved flavored water. I think propel makes it. Dasani use too, that's how I got my daughter to drink water but I don't think that is around anymore.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
icn_mom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM

well, if he is willing to drink his formula, I wouldnt be too concerned with dehydration.. so long as hes drinking an ounce an hour he is going to be fine! now if the question is how to get him off of formula, i suggest mixing.. first start with 3/4 formula 1/4 milk for a few days, then cut it down to 1/2 and 1/2 then 3/4 milk and 1/4 formula... He'll get the hang of it. (and juice is not and essential for kids, so if he doesnt like it dont force it!)

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM

as long as he is still drinking formula..i wouldnt worry about it..maybe hold off for a month, and try again then. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN