Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Pull Ups.. Or Not?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 23 Replies
Potty training.. To use pull ups or not? Are they really too diaper like? Do they defeat the purpose? What are your potty training tips??

she will be 2 in Feb and she is showing interest in the potty. I let her play with it (her own potty chair, not the big potty) sit on it when she wants and when she says potty (or signs) I help her take off her pamper and "use" the potty.. Tho she never really goes bc it's always after she just went in her pamper.. no pressure from us whatsoever...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Nope. Get the thick cloth undies. Pullups wick away moisture. They need to feel that to know when they have peed.

MamaNeeNee
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM
That was my thought exactly!! I used them with my son but they are SO hard to find now!

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Nope. Get the thick cloth undies. Pullups wick away moisture. They need to feel that to know when they have peed.

MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I like the bare-butt approach.  It takes planning b/c you kind of have to stay around the house and not really take the child outside, at least not much, and especially on the first day.  BUT the value to it is that the baby learns where to "go" and pretty quickly.  I also had a policy of having mine clean up their own "puddles".

I mostly only used Pullups for 3 purposes:
1. Bedtime (naptime)
2. "Car rides" (going to the store, library, etc.  Anytime I might be gone long enough for my trainee to pee.)
3. When the baby was too large for diapers (this reason is obsolete b/c they make diapers large enough for ?? 10yo's now, but not when I had my first LOs.)

MamaNeeNee
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Hmm, that would be quite simple, we are home 99% of the time!

Quoting MrsJoe125:

I like the bare-butt approach.  It takes planning b/c you kind of have to stay around the house and not really take the child outside, at least not much, and especially on the first day.  BUT the value to it is that the baby learns where to "go" and pretty quickly.  I also had a policy of having mine clean up their own "puddles".

1. Bedtime (naptime)
2. "Car rides" (going to the store, library, etc.  Anytime I might be gone long enough for my trainee to pee.)
3. When the baby was too large for diapers (this reason is obsolete b/c they make diapers large enough for ?? 10yo's now, but not when I had my first LOs.)

JTROX
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I hate pull-ups.  I worked in a daycare and HATED when parents used them.  I never used them with my boys.  We went straight to underwear.

MrsJoe125
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:26 PM

We are too.  Be prepared to watch her carefully for potty ques and get her to her potty or the toilet quickly, so she learns where it goes and when it's coming. :-)

Having lots of special activities planned for about three days will help keep her where you can watch her; I know how 2yo's can be (I've had four of them). ;-)

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

Hmm, that would be quite simple, we are home 99% of the time!

Quoting MrsJoe125:

1. Bedtime (naptime)

Smilely08
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM
We are home most of the time so he has nothing on. I tried the pull ups he just peed in those.
LTS2010
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I just started potty training my daughter yesterday, seriously. I say 'seriously' because we've been trying on and off for a few months but she's 2 1/2 and we want to put her in preschool and think she is more than ready and understands how to use a potty.  Like you I thought training pants or underwear was kind of like a crutch on their free diaper journey. I read a great article on babycenter and it's been great....

http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-in-three-days-or-less_10310078.bc

My daughter also started doing this funny thing at my moms, she would close herself behind the doors of my moms desk and want to be left alone to go to the potty.  So when I got home I decided to build her a type of "fortress" out of cardboard to go around her potty where she can go in and close herself (top is open so I can see her) in and do her business.  IT'S BEEN GREAT!  The article tips have worked and her 'fortress' has worked, lol.  

Keep your daughters interest going and get her on that potty as soon as you can, the more persistent you are especially since she's showing interest the easier it will be for you and her :-)

LTS2010
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Forgot to add that at home we keep here with nothing on, bare bottom...but read the article to get more information on this :-)

robbinsroost
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

We used pull ups for about a year from 2-3 years old, but waited until our kids asked to use the potty. All 3 asked by 3 1/2 and had very few accidents after switching from pullups. I did try undies before they asked and I felt like I was spending my day cleaning up their messes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)