Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do you kill bugs in front of your children?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi!

I try to teach my kids to treat all living creatures with respect, but when a spider or fly gets in the house I take out the fly swatter and...SPLAT! How do I explain that? What do you do when bugs get in your house?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Replies (121-130):
jenna30
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM
:-)

Quoting jabs54:

I scream and my dd kills the spiders ;)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jenna30
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Lol

Quoting FrumpyMama:

I usually either throw the napkin on them and stomp on it or scoop it in the napkin and throw it in the toilet. 

Quoting jenna30:

But you are brave enough to squish them in a napkin? Dont you hate that crunsh?

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Lol!! The only thing we can say we "HATE" and want "DEAD" and can "KILL" in our house are bugs.  We had a lot of brown recluse spiders this year from some odd reason. So my son saw me scream "DIE!!!" so many times as I squished them to a pulp in a napkin.  I don't want them to be scared of them, but I figure it's better he says it about something that everyone pretty much well hates. lol.

mom2bahandcch
by Queen of the World on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM
My husband says to the kids, that bugs that are outside are in their "living room "so we don't squish. But you can be sure if a bug comes in my living room then all bets are off! Except once there was a hornet and I didn't want to make it mad by trying to kill it and missing so I caught it in a pringles can and threw the thing outside. We never squish ladybugs or grasshoppers though.
thatgirl70
by Carin on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Yes I do. I'm not PETA, the damn things are gonna die. My son doesn't like bugs, he has no problem with us smashing a bug with shoe. He gets more freaked out by seeing one alive.

mich.el.le
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Yes. There are living creatures that are pests and if they're a pest in my home, they have to go. If they are affecting or threatening my family they die. 

.KFeatherable.
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM
My 4 year old never asked. He just knows that a fly swatter is for killing flies. We never had too many spiders come crawling on the floor, but the boys are on the floor a lot and when I see one, I get it real quick with my shoe.

Quoting jenna30:

How do u explain it to your kids?

Quoting .KFeatherable.:

Yes fly swatter with flies! Spiders get the shoe!

Quoting jenna30:

With a fly swatter?

Quoting .KFeatherable.:

Flies and Spiders get a swat! Eck, thinking about spiders now is killing me!

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM

i grab the closest shoe or flipflop and smash it til i know its dead..lol..usually 5-8 times! (ya gotta make sure!)  :)

Quoting jenna30:

How do u kill them?

Quoting alexis_06:

i am a proud bug killer!!  they are NOT welcome in my home! 

BaileynMe
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:54 AM
If they're in the house, yes. Certain bugs I'll leave alone as long as they stay out if my house. :-) Mosquitos are fair game no matter where they are.
GagaNTattooS
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Smh. Really

XOXOArmyWife
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Yes if it's a spider or something that could be dangerous but if its just a harmless critter I like to just let them outside
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)