Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do you kill bugs in front of your children?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi!

I try to teach my kids to treat all living creatures with respect, but when a spider or fly gets in the house I take out the fly swatter and...SPLAT! How do I explain that? What do you do when bugs get in your house?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Replies (141-150):
jenna30
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Yup, shoes are good!;) And its a bit satisfying to hear them crunch aswell...devil mini

Quoting alexis_06:

lol, ya know, i dont.   well..i have a one that zapps...but once i tried it, and the spider got away..so my lesson was learned!!  shoes work best :)

Quoting jenna30:

Dont u have a fly swatter?

Quoting alexis_06:

i'd rather have a stain, than a bug.  lol.  however, i've never had one stain my wall...ya there's guts..but thats what lysol spray is for.  but at the same time, depending on the location of the bug, i normally try to swat it onto the ground anyways, in fear of smashing a hole in the wall..lol   :)

Quoting jenna30:

Dont u get stains on the walls?:)

Quoting alexis_06:

i grab the closest shoe or flipflop and smash it til i know its dead..lol..usually 5-8 times! (ya gotta make sure!)  :)

Quoting jenna30:

How do u kill them?

Quoting alexis_06:

i am a proud bug killer!!  they are NOT welcome in my home! 

jenna30
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM

But if you think about it it is the same thing... Its a life after all

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Yes bugs to me aren't the same thing as a bird, dog or cat.  I kill flies, mosquitos but we carry spiders outside and release them as they are good for the environment.  Flies and Mosquitos are not and carry diseases. 

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I try not to kill bugs in general. We don't get them often, but when we do I get them onto a piece of paper or in a Tupperware and take them outside.

jenna30
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

wink mini

Quoting jhslove:

I try not to kill bugs in general. We don't get them often, but when we do I get them onto a piece of paper or in a Tupperware and take them outside.

jenna30
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM

How do you explain to your kids?

Quoting Bethsunshine:

We all kill bugs.

chazzamatazz
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Nope. But I don't kill bugs at all... We are strictly 'catch and release' in my house. :/

No one can really tell you how to explain your own actions, you're the only one that can come to terms with them. I understand why a lot of people kill insects (not necessarily spiders, though... since they can cut back on the insect problem) even though I don't agree. So I often have to talk to my daughters about respecting the beliefs of others. 

Bethsunshine
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Quoting jenna30:

I don't explain anything to them about killing bugs. I don't like bugs We are overrun with stinkbugs in this area and they are nasty little creatures.
kristinen
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I try not to kill too many bugs, but when it happens i dont explain...surprise mini

jenna30
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:32 PM
;-)

Quoting kristinen:

I try not to kill too many bugs, but when it happens i dont explain...surprise mini

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mylilgooberpea
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM
I kill it and try not to show my fear. I dont want him to learn my fears, if hes afraid its from himself not learned that its scary. Kwim? I teach him that bugs are cool most im not afraid of, but spiders and bees. If hes not there I let myself freak the heck out!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN