Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Daughter Wants To Be Held All The Time

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi everyone! My almost 5 month old daughter, loves to be held. I know that some say it's because she's still an infant and they just love to be near you, which is fine. I love her more than anything, and I don't mind holding her, but it's starting to get really tricky. I feel like she won't enjoy anything else but being in my arms, if I don't try and break her out of this habit. And I have to be standing. If I try to sit while I'm holding her, she'll start to cry.

There are days though, where she'll let me put her down on a play gym, or in her jumper or sit up her on her play mat. But, she does this for maybe 15 to 20 minutes, then she's already looking for me to pick her up. I've tried letting her cry it out (breaks my heart), but that doesn't seem to be working either.

Anyone have some advice?fingers crossed

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Wear her. And remember this too shall pass. One day, believe it or not, you might miss when she wanted you to hold her so much.

TylersMom999
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Wear her in a sling.....thats what I did with my son....he was a much happier baby.  Enjoy the time that she wants to be close to you bc pretty soon she will be crawling and then walking and wont want to be up next to you!  

icn_mom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:38 PM

do you have an infant carrier (like the ones you wear?) I would give anything to go back to those days (my dd is almost 6 and rarely likes to snuggle!) I just wouldnt let these moments end too soon or force them too.

Dolce1979
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I have a baby bjorn, but I can't really bend or pick things up when she's in that thing. I just get nervous that she won't learn to crawl or sit up if she's always in my arms. I know she's only about 5 months, so is this totally normal then?

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM
This is definitely normal! Wear her when you have things to do then play with her when you don't. My dd was exactly like this and always hit milestones early. Don't worry!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kali_mom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I know what it is you are going through. My 8 month old just seemed to only want to be held as well and I have four other children. I began to experiment with a batch of new toys purchased from a consignment shop. The introduction of new sounds and toys peeked her interest. I started to gradually decrease the time that I was holding her and exchanged it with playing with her. Getting down on the floor and lots of positive praise when she played alone. My oldest will be 23 and trust me they don't always want to be held so cherish it! :-)
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM

The behavior is totally normal.  To your child, you are the world.  Of course she is going to want you there so she feels safe and comfortable.

All three of my children were "sling" babies that I wore as much as they desired.  They walked at 7, 9, and 10 months.  They are incredibly independent, and have matured into great kids (12, 10 and  7)

If you're worried about her development, put her down and get down with her on the floor and give her ample time to explore and test without worrying that you are going to leave.  

Quoting Dolce1979:

I have a baby bjorn, but I can't really bend or pick things up when she's in that thing. I just get nervous that she won't learn to crawl or sit up if she's always in my arms. I know she's only about 5 months, so is this totally normal then?

piwife
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Baby bjors are the worse carriers out there. I have 3 kids I don't cio. I wear my babies. My youngest is almost 9 mts. Best carriers out there are ergo, moby, mei tai, bobba, ktan, and ring sling
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

15 to 20 minutes is long enough for a LO of that age to be under a play gym or in a jumper, really. Then you should pick her up and hold her againf or a while. At that age, the day usually is just 15-20 minutes with mum, then maybe 15 min of floor time, then 15 minutes with mum, then 15 in the jumper etc. If you get a routine going with it she'll start to learn the routine and start to settle a little because she will start being able to anticipate that after every 'activity' on her own she gets to come back to mum for a while. It sounds pretty normal. If you are carrying her more than you'd like, the other thing you can do is to get a sling or some other kind of carrier so you can still do what you need to do but give her the attention she needs. I got DD a ring sling when she was an infant and it still fits her and she's almost two. It is adjustable so I won't every have to replace it or upgrade to a bigger carrier.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Wear her. I baby wear and love it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)