Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Flying for first time Questions....

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am planning my honeymoon for next year.. and I have to have it all planned out... We are going to Jamica for a week..

I have some questions about airport security and customs....

1. We are both smokers (I know bad) but is there a limit to ciggerates that you can pack? Can you pack a disposable lighter?

2. Is there a limit on amount of cash you can carry? Can you bring Jamican dollars home for souvieneers?

3. How long does it take to get through security? do you have to pass through security again when changing flights or at layovers?

4.RE: Customs for returning... there is a $200 duty free limit--do you keep reciepts to prove the value of what you bought?

5. I have a PRN script for a narcotic, that I very rarely take, but want to take it with me just in case? Is this difficult to do?

Periwinkle Awareness RibbonEsophageal Atresia Awareness

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadowspirit07
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I do not smoke so I'm not sure on the limit for cigs and lighters, you would probably have to limit them and you may not be allowed lighters at all. It varies depending on if you're leaving from a big city airport as well. You should be able to carry as much money as you need, I doubt you'll have enough for them to question you (ie. bundles like the bank has). Not sure on if they'd question Jamacan money, probably not (I've never been overseas). Depending on the time of your flight, you will need to allot at least 1 hour to security because of the lines. Once you are through the security, you will not need to worry about it again as long as you stay on the gate side of the airport. However, be sure to wear socks/hose or something on your feet and be able to change it readily. You will need to take off your shoes and put them through the scanner and walk barefoot/stocking footed through the metal detector, I would advise you to change socks before putting your shoes on since you honestly don't know what other people have on their feet (warts, athelete's foot, etc). Laptops, cellphones, and similar devices will need to be pulled out of bags and put through the scanner on their own. You CANNOT have anything over 3 oz for any gel or liquid (shampoo/conditioner, toothpaste, body wash, liquid make up, etc), unless it is a factory sealed bottle of drink and even then some places frown on it. You should put all of your travel sized bottles of toothpaste, mouthwash, and other liquids/gels into a gallon sized Ziploc bag. Bring your own sealed snacks (small bags of pretzels, candy bars, etc) because airport and plane food is expensive. Do not count on getting a snack on the plane, some airlines do not offer anything for free. I'm not sure about customs since I've never dealt with them, but I would keep the receips in a folder just in case. As for your prescription, have it in your carry on in the original bottle (all meds of any sort should be in original bottles) and ensure the prescription lable is readable. Since it is a narcotic, you may want to get a doctor's note or something to prove that you can have it. You are limited on the size of a carry on (if you use one), so you will want to check with the airline for the size rules on this. Dress in layers as well, you may not need a jacket/sweatshirt in Jamaca but you may want one at the airport, but if you get too warm you can take it off. Also, just as a side note, you may want to take turns going to the bathroom at the airport so that you don't have to haul everything to the bathroom when you have to go and NEVER leave anything unattended or anywhere that you can't see it. Thefts do occur and most airports have rules for leaving unattended baggage. Bring some gum with you so that you can chew it to keep your ears from popping and reduce the pressure. Depending on the number of flights you have each way, you may want to tear the stick of gum in half or thirds so that you don't chew too many pieces (too much can give you the runs). And try to stay hydrated so that you don't get too fatigued. If you want to bring a "prohibited" item back to the States (large bottle of perfume, a decorative pocket knife, or whatever), you may want to mail it home instead. Try to pack relatively light so that you don't have a ton of things to lug around the airport, you will be walking and dragging your luggage with you and you could easily walk a mile between security and your gate. Always give extra time and try to keep track of the flight delays (you'll want to know your flight number, which should be on your ticket) and if possible try to print your ticket at the airport (scan the barcode given to you in a confirmation email) so that you don't have to stand in line forever. If possible, eat a big meal before you leave so that you're less likely to be hungry on the trip. However, if you get motion sick, you may just want a light meal with a lot of carbs and take a motion sickness pill 30 min before your flight. Bring things to do that don't require internet or cell phone service, it is usually available but not always or it might be extremely slow. And of course save room for souvineers that you get on your trip.

tlcory
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Quoting darcibeisheim:

I am planning my honeymoon for next year.. and I have to have it all planned out... We are going to Jamica for a week..

1. We are both smokers (I know bad) but is there a limit to ciggerates that you can pack? Can you pack a disposable lighter?.........  You can take as many cigarettes as you want and yes you can pack a lighter.

2. Is there a limit on amount of cash you can carry? Can you bring Jamican dollars home for souvieneers?........ No limit on the amount of cash and yes you can bring $ home.

3. How long does it take to get through security? do you have to pass through security again when changing flights or at layovers? ........Depends on the airport

4.RE: Customs for returning... there is a $200 duty free limit--do you keep reciepts to prove the value of what you bought?........ Yes I would keep the receipts 

5. I have a PRN script for a narcotic, that I very rarely take, but want to take it with me just in case? Is this difficult to do?.......No should not be a problem, I did not have any trouble with my prescription. 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Quoting darcibeisheim:

1. We are both smokers (I know bad) but is there a limit to ciggerates that you can pack? Can you pack a disposable lighter?

I don't smoke so can't answer this one... sorry!

2. Is there a limit on amount of cash you can carry? Can you bring Jamican dollars home for souvieneers?

No and yes

3. How long does it take to get through security? do you have to pass through security again when changing flights or at layovers?

The amount of time depends on the line. It's recommended to get to the airport 2 hours before flight time for international flights. No, you do not pass through security again when changing flights during layovers.

4.RE: Customs for returning... there is a $200 duty free limit--do you keep reciepts to prove the value of what you bought?

Yes, keep your receipts

5. I have a PRN script for a narcotic, that I very rarely take, but want to take it with me just in case? Is this difficult to do?

This will not be a problem at all. I have to take Valium every time I fly because of nerves and always have this in my purse. I have never received any type of problems.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Put lighter in your checked luggage. Use US dollars.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kali_mom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1. A traveler may include up to 100 cigars and 200 cigarettes in the $800 exemption from duty. U.S. residents on State Department-licensed travel to Cuba may not bring cigars or other goods back with them from their visit. One fueled lighter.

2. No limit on cash and yes you can bring Jamaican dollars back

3. Check in times vary with each flight. Allow a min of 2 hours before flight is set to depart they you arrive at airport. Once cleared with security you will not need to do so for connecting flights.

4. Yes you should keep receipts for proof of purchased items.

5. A traveler going abroad with a preexisting medical problem should carry a letter from the attending physician, describing the medical condition and any prescription medications, including the generic names of prescribed drugs. Any medications being carried overseas should be left in their original containers and be clearly labeled. Travelers should check with the foreign embassy of the country they are visiting to make sure any required medications are not considered to be illegal narcotics. (A listing of foreign embassies and consulates in the U.S. is available on the Department of State’s website at http://www.state.gov/s/cpr/rls/dpl/32122.htm. Foreign embassy and consulate contact information can also be found on the Country Specific Information for each country.)

Great that you are planning ahead, sounds like lots of fun! Don't forget to update with pics
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ferne3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM

2.  Actually there can be issues if you carry more than $10K in cash - they will question you and you have to declare it on the customs forms.  But, since most of us don't carry that much, you are probably ok.

3.  I have had to go through security a second time, but that was because I changed planes at a very tiny airport with security at each gate- also when I have a domestic leg and a foreign leg.  For example, when I got back from Peru, we changed flights in Florida, so we had to get off the plane, go through customs, and then go through security.  Each airport has information on their websites about standard security line wait times.  It depends on the airport and the time of day.  Early morning flights during the week I breeze through.  Afternoon or later flights on peak travel days (Monday, Friday) can take a LONG time.

5.  TSA.gov has specific information about what is needed for your meds, but checking the state department website about requirements in the foreign country is a good idea.  Also make sure when you get there that the meds are locked int he room safe or at the front desk of the hotel as passports and meds are the most commonly stolen items when travelling to foreign countries.  I had to carry on liquid filled syringes and with my dr.s note on a Rx pad and print out of the TSA rules, they didn't even look at them.  Funny, when you are prepared there are no questions.

Enjoy your trip!  Jamaica can be a great time.  Make sure to try their food and be open to new experiencecs while there - that is the BEST part of foreign travel for me.  

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Looks like most of your questions have been answered. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

blucandie
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I suggest looking at the website for each airport you will be going through & also the TSA website. They should have all the "rules" & "regulations" posted for each airport since each one could have different rules on what you can board with. Last time I flew they allowed lighters on the way there, but not on the way back. There should also be a FAQ section & a way to contact them should you have any questions. Also, when you get to the airport(s) check the allowance boards to make sure nothing has changed. Also, check to see how many bags you can check for free & the weight limit on each & make sure you are at least a pound or 2 under. You would not want to have to pay extra for 1 pound over, trust me. The websites should have all that infotoo, as well as how big your carry on can be & how many you are allowed without an extra fee. I don't know about customs, but I'm sure there is a website for that too, lol! Good Luck & I hope you have a great honeymoon!!!

darcibeisheim
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:42 PM

thanks ladies... you have been a great help

stepdiva
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM
There is no limit on cigarettes. But I pack extra in the checked baggage. My lighter has never been confiscated but just in case, take matches. I used to always check lighters etc but didnt last time and there was no problem.
It seems like each airport security check point is different.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN