Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Looking for help with my toddlers constipation...fun, right??

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hi All:

My son Nicholas is an active happy little boy.  He's 34 months.  But when it comes to his poop...well they are like rabbit poops.  He's going thru a super picky eating stage which makes it all the more fun.  When he was real small we did prune or pear juice but trying either of those now is not getting us anywhere...Any other suggestions????

Christine

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LTS2010
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Could you make him a veggie juice but add apples to it so it's sweet enough for him to drink it?  Try some spinach or kale and add the apple juice or if you have a juicer just apples.  Also, if he'll eat blueberries they help with going to the bathroom.  Hope this helps :-)

mag12305cmg
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM

My friends daughter has poop issues...she mixes Aloe Vera Juice in with regular juice and it has helped her daughter a ton.

Dqnana
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Anything that he will eat that you can add wheat germ to would be good.  Making your own chicken nuggets that have it in the breading, mixed into scrambled eggs, in cookies, in pancakes, wheat bread in French toast, etc. It absorbs liquid and softens the stool, likewise, it helps cure diarrhea by doing the same thing.  Make sure he drinks LOTS of fluids!  You could ask your doctor about adding a bit of Metamucil to juice, but I don't know the amount.  

-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I would ask the doc but when my dd was 2 1/2 she was having problems and her doc said it was ok to give them miralax.  One teaspoon a day.  Ask you doc though b/c they may tell you a different amount based on the size of the child.

peanutsmommy1
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I second mirilax, we had to use it for the better part of two years
MrsKish
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:46 PM

dried figs, a small amount of coffee, carrots.

tyracon
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:53 PM

my son had the same problem. grapes. not the green ones though and it worked like a charm

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Kiwi and blueberries are great at cleaning out my DD. Sometimes I just blend them up with some ice like a slushy and she drinks it.  Or maybe you can make apple juice (or kiwi, blueberry etc) popsicles and give him those. DD is hard pressed to turn down any kind of popsicle.

wodntulk2kno1
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM
With my oldest pedilite and gas x for babies would help her. She lived on that stuff for the first year cause every formula we used blocked her up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM
My SIL swears by an apple/prune mix.
I'd think anything with a good serving of fiber would do the trick though. And make sure he's getting enough to drink. If he's dried out, his body won't work as well as it should.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)