Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

breastfeeding question

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:52 PM
  • 43 Replies

I am breastfeeding - my son is 11 months and he only has bf milk in the morning usually (except today he only had one at 1:30 and thats it) then again before bed but Noah really hurt me tonight... He searched for my breast and when i finally offered him it he put my breast in his mouth and bit me instead sucking... So I told him no milk! I'm not having him hurting me like that!

Do i just keep trying the cow milk now as he doesnt to not want me now (self weaned)- unless its just this once. or should i stop breastfeeding just to stop him hurting me (i was close to tears earlier cause he hurt me so much) and keep offering cow milk and if he doesnt give him dairy product or not bother with the cow milk (hes not keen on the cow milk)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
busymom64064
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You should really do your research about cow's milk before the age of 1. when he turns 1, he can have WHOLE milk. when he turns 2, i believe 2%. Anyway, cow's milk before the age of 1 can cause alot of digestive issues. talk to your pediatrician before.

kirbyland10
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM

my health visitor said that he be fine with it when i saw her last month! and I know about giving him whole milk. but i wanted to wait till noah's ready not when i am ready. and was wondering if he is self weaning

and I have done research on it 

busymom64064
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM

i nwouldnt just listen to a healthy visitor. unless they are a doctor, they dont really have the best knowledge

Quoting kirbyland10:

my health visitor said that he be fine with it when i saw her last month! and I know about giving him whole milk. but i wanted to wait till noah's ready not when i am ready. and was wondering if he is self weaning

GabrielRiley
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't give him milk at all. He was probably just testing the waters on what you would let him get away with. Most babies do not self wean that early.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbyland10
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM

so stop breastfeeding? 

and just give him water/juice and make sure he has plenty of dairy product? cheese/yoghurt... etc

AleaKat
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM
I was told no cows milk before the age of one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbyland10
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM

he has cow milk in cereal

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I would have pried his mouth and teeth off and said, "No!" Then tried again.

If you do go with cow's milk it should be whole not skim but you could also try formula.

kirbyland10
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:23 PM

he wont take formula he always refused... like he wont drink breastmilk in a bottle (yes I have tried it). I know its whole we have whole just for him as he has it in his cereal in the morning

I didnt offer it again cause he really did hurt me and i could bare that again.

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:23 PM

He most certainly is weaning himself. And do not give him any milk before he is 2 to 3 years old.  Even though at that age it is considered okay, the kids' digetive tract is still growing and still sensitive. They can get terrible gases and let me assure you that they can cause a sever amount of pain. 2 of my kids went through this as a result of giving them some milk before they are physically ready. And just an fyi, a one size solution does NOT fit all.  Every child is different.  You should trust your instincts.  

Quoting kirbyland10:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)