Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

my baby has eczema and the aveeno baby eczema therapy lostion is not working well does anybody know anything better that might work  the doctor didnt give me anything for it she said that that was good but it is not working help!!!!! please 

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Replies (11-18):
mercedeslynn31
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM

my son is  only 2 months 

Quoting Dqnana:

How old is Daughter?  Excema is very often related to diet and cold weather. Lots of kids who have those bright, red precious cheeks really have excema.  And "eggscema" can often be linked to EGGS!!  If she is old enough to be eating eggs, try cutting that our of her diet.  If not, it may be related to cold weather.  If she continues to have issues or if it gets worse, do not wait for your doctor to refer you to an allergist.  You will wait a very long time.  Go on your own and see what they think. 

tiffani_qt2001
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:25 PM

according to the two pediatricians my daughter has seen over the past 4 years, Eczema is actually linked with asthma and the immune system. My daughter's eczema will flare up when either her allergies flare up or when she gets a cold or sickness. We tried all kinds of products and a few steroid creams but what I found to work the best is a compound mixture that the doctor prescribed- its Aquaphor and something else that I can't remember the name of at the moment lol

Quoting mercedeslynn31:

my son is  only 2 months 

Quoting Dqnana:

How old is Daughter?  Excema is very often related to diet and cold weather. Lots of kids who have those bright, red precious cheeks really have excema.  And "eggscema" can often be linked to EGGS!!  If she is old enough to be eating eggs, try cutting that our of her diet.  If not, it may be related to cold weather.  If she continues to have issues or if it gets worse, do not wait for your doctor to refer you to an allergist.  You will wait a very long time.  Go on your own and see what they think. 

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:44 PM

My son has eczema and we have been dealing with it with him for almost 17 years. Face, crooks of arms, back of knees, front of ankles

I have a ton of recommendations.

How old is your baby?

We never really found an otc cream that worked.

HYDROCORTIZONE IS A BIG NONO!!!

with hydrocortizone it will heal it for a short time, but as soon as you stop using it the eczema comes back and its a vicious cycle.  It also thins the skin.

His dermatologist recommends Protopic ointment for the bad spots.  It is RX and pretty expensive.  Its a level 4 on our ins plan and we pay 80 bucks for it, but it is well worth it. Not sure how young it is recommended for though.  He was 4 when we started using it, as it was not available until then.

only bathe every few days, pat dry skin and apply Aquaphore or Eucerin CREAM (make sure unscented).

100% cotton clothes, towels, wash cloths. (we used mens white cotton tshirts for towels and cut them up we used the sleeves as wash cloths)

Trial and error on the Free and clear brand laundry detergents...we use ALL free and clear, cheer or Tide free and clear breaks him out.

Dove sensitive skin soap.  We never really found a shampoo other than the one we had to order thru the derm and she has retired.  Its been years so I don't remember the name of it.

NO dryer sheets, fabric softner nothing with fragrance. 

If she is at the age she can scratch

get a box with a lid of unscented baby wipes

1 capful of facial astringent

1/2 c of MINERAL water

pour the astringent into the wipe box and then the mineral water

keep refrigerated pull one out as needed.

You can also keep a bag of peas in the freezer as a back up place on the affected area for 20-30 seconds the damp and cool will soothe the itch.

If she will keep them on see if you can find some cotton mittens and cover her hands so she wont scratch. 

My sons dermatologist mixed up her own concoctions and they were amazing.  When we went for his first visit he was bouncing off the walls itching to death.  She sat down and talked with us while her nurses took him into another room (I didn't like that) they coated him down with her creams and OMG he was like a whole new child when he came out.  My mother couldnt even believe the difference in him.  He could actually sit still and you could see the relief on his face.  I was amazed.

I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions don't hesitate to message me on here, I will be happy to help.

I am sure I forgot something from right off the top of my head, as I saw someone who mentioned the mixing the aquaphor with something else, I heard of that and can't remember what it was either.  My neice used a rx protopic in a jar mixed with something that may have been what it was. 

AubreeGrace17
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I used hydrocortisone on my son when he was that age. It worked really well. Just make sure to keep it away from the face.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stargaze281
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Try Mustela, they have a line just for sensitive/eczema skin. 

mercedeslynn31
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow thank you my son is only 2 months he scratches his face so i clip his nails and put gloves on his hands but he dont scratch bad when i am trying to burp him he rubs his face on my shirt i make him stop of course but he cries about it it is really bad on his elbows and legs

Quoting Jebekarue:

My son has eczema and we have been dealing with it with him for almost 17 years. Face, crooks of arms, back of knees, front of ankles

I have a ton of recommendations.

How old is your baby?

We never really found an otc cream that worked.

HYDROCORTIZONE IS A BIG NONO!!!

with hydrocortizone it will heal it for a short time, but as soon as you stop using it the eczema comes back and its a vicious cycle.  It also thins the skin.

His dermatologist recommends Protopic ointment for the bad spots.  It is RX and pretty expensive.  Its a level 4 on our ins plan and we pay 80 bucks for it, but it is well worth it. Not sure how young it is recommended for though.  He was 4 when we started using it, as it was not available until then.

only bathe every few days, pat dry skin and apply Aquaphore or Eucerin CREAM (make sure unscented).

100% cotton clothes, towels, wash cloths. (we used mens white cotton tshirts for towels and cut them up we used the sleeves as wash cloths)

Trial and error on the Free and clear brand laundry detergents...we use ALL free and clear, cheer or Tide free and clear breaks him out.

Dove sensitive skin soap.  We never really found a shampoo other than the one we had to order thru the derm and she has retired.  Its been years so I don't remember the name of it.

NO dryer sheets, fabric softner nothing with fragrance. 

If she is at the age she can scratch

get a box with a lid of unscented baby wipes

1 capful of facial astringent

1/2 c of MINERAL water

pour the astringent into the wipe box and then the mineral water

keep refrigerated pull one out as needed.

You can also keep a bag of peas in the freezer as a back up place on the affected area for 20-30 seconds the damp and cool will soothe the itch.

If she will keep them on see if you can find some cotton mittens and cover her hands so she wont scratch. 

My sons dermatologist mixed up her own concoctions and they were amazing.  When we went for his first visit he was bouncing off the walls itching to death.  She sat down and talked with us while her nurses took him into another room (I didn't like that) they coated him down with her creams and OMG he was like a whole new child when he came out.  My mother couldnt even believe the difference in him.  He could actually sit still and you could see the relief on his face.  I was amazed.

I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions don't hesitate to message me on here, I will be happy to help.

I am sure I forgot something from right off the top of my head, as I saw someone who mentioned the mixing the aquaphor with something else, I heard of that and can't remember what it was either.  My neice used a rx protopic in a jar mixed with something that may have been what it was. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
spotsmom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Use a cortisone cream 1st, then layer a good barrier cream on top. Mustela Stelatopia cream works well. My pedi prescribed "Locoid" for my sons' eczema, it helped a lot. Next time you're in, see if she will prescribe it for you. I't a prescription cortisone cream. 

briley1231
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM

AQUA PHORE WORKS AMAZING! I LOVE IT AND WOULDNT USE ANYTHING ELSE.  IT EVEN HELPS CHAPEED LIPS:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)