Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Spanking OR Time out ? 16 month old doesnt listen !

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 71 Replies

My 16 month old wont listen to anything I say or his dad either.

I know he understands when he is told not to do something but he does it anyway, tries to be sneaky or act all cute to distract us so he can do what he is not supposed to do.

I really do not want to spank him and I have been reading on proper ways to implement time out but he is 16 months old, I dont know if he will understand the concept yet. 

For anyone who has ever done time out, at what age did you start where it was actually effective???

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely you can do a time out. Give him one warning then a 2 minute time-out. Sit on him if you have to! Just be consistent, do it every time! Personally I'm ok with spanking too, you only have to do it a couple of times and they learn. You tell him you are going to count to three and if he doesn't mind he's getting a swat on the butt, then follow through, if it doesn't hurt a little it wont work. Next time when he hears you start counting he'll straighten up.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM
2 moms liked this

at 16 mo its more about distracting them ans replacing what theyre doing with something appropriate.  it will take time for him to learn whats ok and whats not.

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:12 PM
5 moms liked this

With that age restrictions, persistence and distraction is your friend.

Put away anything he can get into and make a mess or hurt himself, others or the house. Baby proof the place. If he is trying to get in the garbage can, for instance put it up high where he can reach it. Close the bathroom doors and put baby knobs on them. Put a baby gate on the kitchen and any stairs. Physically get up and remove him from the door and trying to open it every time it's an issue and so on.

If he does something he is not suppose to, EVERY single time he does, go through your retraining about that thing. Let's take hitting. You and/or your husband grab his hands firmly but gently and say. "No! No hitting! That hurts! Use soft hands." Then show him how to touch someone softly. It make feel like it takes a million times or more but eventually this will work.

Finally, when all else fails distract him, with noises or faces or toys or tickle him or throw him up in the air. Anything that will distract him from the behavior you don't want.

I'm against spankings 100%. They teach kids that might means right. It makes kids scared, angry, sneaky and distrustful.

Time outs when done well can work but again, you have to keep getting up and putting him back on the time out chair or whatever, every time he gets up before it's time to. Age two is when it starts to be easier to use them.

You can put toys and such in time out but remember one minute per year of age. That's not much time. Don't do it indefinitely.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Yes, spanking is okay. Life PP stated you only have to do it a few times and they learn. Then time outs. It is usually 1-2 minutes for each year age wise.

piwife
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:10 PM
I spank but I won't spank before 2 1/2 yrs and even them I keep it to a minimun
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I think you can do timeout. You could always make a "timeout corner". Maybe get a chair that is specifically for timeouts. Explain that that is where he will go when he misbehaves, doesn't listen, etc. Good Luck!

TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I used redirection at that age. Just move him away from whatever action you don't want him doing to one that is desirable.  He will learn that when he, for example, pulls the dogs ears mommy won't let him play with the dog. Or if he throws his truck after daddy told him not to it gets put away for a while.  I think he's a bit young to spank or do time-outs.

MamaNeeNee
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
16 mos are not supposed to listen...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
slransde
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:30 PM
My son is 15 months and we do a really short time out. Usually works
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melisawoosley
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Too early to spank and Im a spanker. (not often, but not against it) i think time outs are ok 1.5 min for that age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)