Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I feel like a terrible mom

Posted by   + Show Post

My baby is rarely happy. He is normally only happy for about 30-45 minutes after he eats and then he begins to cry because he is getting tired so I will swaddle and rock him to sleep and then lay him down. He cries when he wakes up, he cries when he's tired, bored, scared, hungry, he scratches himself... for no reason.. I feel like he cries all the time and I feel like a failure at decoding the cries. He is 11 weeks and teething. I have baltic amber beads on him and I give him hyland's tablets. I answer all of his cries quickly. I feel like he should know he doesn't need to scream bloody murder to get a response from me. He is just most of the time fussy/grumpy. Everyone tells me there babies are so happy and they "never cry", always smiling. I can't help but feel I am doing something wrong. I use cloth diapers and I feed him donated breast milk (I have IGT) and the WAP formula. Is that much crying/fussiness normal at 11 weeks? Why does everyone tell me their baby is always happy and smiling?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM
I agree. It sounds like colic.

Quoting frndlyfn:

it sounds like he has colic which makes us feel bad.   Talk to the doctor about how he is and get him checked for that.  He also just may be a high needs baby and right now crying is communication.   What type of music do you play around him?  Maybe try some lullabye type music just to play throughout the day and night.  A white noise machine also may help since there is usually a heart beat setting on it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Mom's that say their babies were sweet and happy all the time from days one were medicated.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aj2011
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM

don't beat yourself up. not all babies are happy. some parents just want to say that because they think they're a failure if they admit that they had problems like you are. the crying phase will end... just know that there is a light at the end of this crying tunnel.

CafeMom Tickers
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:15 PM

It's not your fault and it will pass. Have you tried a swing? My niece cried and cried the first two weeks she was born, and my poor sister tried everything, eventually she just put her down in bed and she went right to sleep! She was a rare baby that didn't WANT to be held or rocked or swaddled or anything...she's 24 now and wonderful but SUPER independent still.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM

it could be dairy intolerance.   i know the alternative for wap is a chicken stock based formula... which honestly, sounds awful.   

brandyblx
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest was a crybaby,too.Weird term to use with a newborn,I know.My oldest cried CONSTANTLY until he turned 9 months old. According to the doctors( they tested him for everything,couldn't even diagnose it as colic)...some babies are just like that.He grew up to be my quietest,calmest child-LOL. Gl momma.I know it is not easy.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM

That's interesting.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Someone once told me that a really fussy baby is a sign of a biologically strong baby. Back in caveman times, babies who insisted (cried) to get their needs met got the best food and stimulation, so they became the strongest caveman... silly, but it helps me when I can't take any more crying/whining!

Amberleigh81
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Or self-medicated... lol

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Mom's that say their babies were sweet and happy all the time from days one were medicated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcarsel89
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I def. think he's high needs before I would think he is colic. I play the ocean music on his pack n play and I have classical music on my ipad. It doesn't seem to make a difference, noise or not. I really feel like he just hates not being able to do things! Physically he is so strong, he hold his own bottle and turns over and scoots around using his back feet. He can't do much more than that but hold toys. He loves to be in the middle of everything I'm doing but doing anything with the sling on is so uncomfortable. I think boredom pisses him off lol

Quoting frndlyfn:

it sounds like he has colic which makes us feel bad.   Talk to the doctor about how he is and get him checked for that.  He also just may be a high needs baby and right now crying is communication.   What type of music do you play around him?  Maybe try some lullabye type music just to play throughout the day and night.  A white noise machine also may help since there is usually a heart beat setting on it.

mcarsel89
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM

He just doesn't stay happy long no matter what I do. If I hold he gets bored and fussy so I'll turn him around and he's okay for 10 minutes then he's bored again. I will put him in the swing to sleep at times and he does well in it for about 20 minutes. There is so shortage of baby accessories in my house lol I just move him from one to the next. I feel like a bad mom if I just let him fuss.

Quoting Lindalou907:

It's not your fault and it will pass. Have you tried a swing? My niece cried and cried the first two weeks she was born, and my poor sister tried everything, eventually she just put her down in bed and she went right to sleep! She was a rare baby that didn't WANT to be held or rocked or swaddled or anything...she's 24 now and wonderful but SUPER independent still.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)