Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

self esteem for 5 year old boy...help!

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM
  • 5 Replies
My 5.5 year old kindergartener told me today that he doesnt like himself and that he thinks he is bad. My dh and i always give him praise and tell him we are proud of him. Any other ideas to help boost his self esteem?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
doulala
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:47 AM

How much do you tell him this?

What can you offer to allow him to discover this for himself--  what are some of his interests?

Was this a one-time comment or has he said this previously?
I am wondering if something happened that sparked that comment.

It's okay to be disappointed in ourselves sometimes, and he can learn this lesson.    But we must also forgive ourselves and hopefully work to do better next time~~

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:05 AM

could something maybe have been said to him at school?

signingmama2915
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:05 AM
We give him praise daily.

His interests are legos, drawing, and sports. He is signed up for baseball and we find out what team he is on later this month or early next. We allow him and encourage him to draw when ever he wants (and it is an appropriate time).

This exact wording was a one time thing but he has said things like "i'm just garbage" or "you think i'm garbage" or treating him like garbage before. Usually only when he was upset or not getting his way. But, this time it came from nothing like that. He was helping me cook dinner and i was giving him hugs when he said this.

He hasn't done anything recently to spark this that i am aware of. Thats what worries me.

Quoting doulala:

How much do you tell him this?

What can you offer to allow him to discover this for himself--  what are some of his interests?

Was this a one-time comment or has he said this previously?
I am wondering if something happened that sparked that comment.

It's okay to be disappointed in ourselves sometimes, and he can learn this lesson.    But we must also forgive ourselves and hopefully work to do better next time~~

signingmama2915
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:06 AM
Maybe, but he got the reward for having a good day, yesterday and has been for weeks. So i am not sure whats up.

Quoting alexis_06:

could something maybe have been said to him at school?

Kellyjude1
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Continue to just assure him he is not bad and how much you love him.  I would also suggest for his self-esteem to maybe put him into something he likes or enjoys like baseball or soccer.  Sometimes sports give an extra boost with self-esteem.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN