Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

$17k gone, stolen jewelery and soon to be homeless

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 15 Replies

Just as the title of this post says my friend who I just met not too long ago is going through this with her current soon to be ex boyfriend. Unfortunately she is "too scared" to cause him drama so she wont speak up about her abuse....as a friend I always pick up her calls and reply to texts but idk what to say now that she's at the end of the rope.

Exactly what has happened to her is this: She is an immigrant from Guatemala and when she started working here in the US fell head over heals over this "lovely man" at work, moved in with him, had money saved up for her own home $15-$17 thousand dollars but had him put it in HIS bank account for her and not keep it at home for security. He's bought 3 different cars cash while she had no idea what was going on til the last one was purchased. She gave up on the $$$ in the meantime thought he'd change. She has 2 sons under age not citizens either who have been victims of physical and emotional abuse by him as so has she. Now he has confessed that since this past November 2012 he's been hanging out with a new woman, younger & with no kids of her own but it has gotten to the point where they "hang out" for 5-6 hrs at a time even days and he returns home with lots of hickies..his personality has totally changed so she had been suspicious about a month into it but was in terrible denial.

My questions are:

can she do anything about gaining her money back?

do you think she should report this all to the police?

what other actions should she take?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM
If she has no solid proof she had him put her money in his account NO

A TRO

If he''s been phsyically abusive ir should have been reported
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrscheesecake
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM

wouldnt he have to prove where he got that huge chunk of $$$ when she was with him? i told her to record what they argue or talk about admitting to it all

JeremysMom
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM

First, your friend needs to get the hell out of that place if he is abusing her and her sons. Second, yes she does need to file a police report for both the abuse and the money, however, she will probably have to take him to court over it where she would be required to prove that the money was not a gift and that would be very hard to do.

ms-superwoman
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Not sure because she really doesn't have a way to prove that the money is hers. She should cut her losses and move on, start over. Really, losing a few thousand is better than losing your sanity or life, her kids shouldn't have to be put through that.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Your friend was stupid.  Kiss that money goodbye. 

mrscheesecake
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Thanks ladies....recent news.: She is out of his place(his mommy went over to his place and kicked her out) and staying with a friend..now for her to see what she can do. I agree with you ms super woman , I just hope she doesnt fall for another man again who treats her like that. Women need to stick to their kids own good now their own needs and stay "scared" of any man.

Luvinmyjaja
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM

coming from the same i wlll tell you she just needs to get out while she can and not look back. Herself and her kids are worth alot more than the money.

iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM
She is better off moving on and finding ER own happiness. I hope she can get some counseling.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Quoting mrscheesecake:

Thanks ladies....recent news.: She is out of his place(his mommy went over to his place and kicked her out) and staying with a friend..now for her to see what she can do. I agree with you ms super woman , I just hope she doesnt fall for another man again who treats her like that. Women need to stick to their kids own good now their own needs and stay "scared" of any man.

I owuld try contacting his Mom and threatening her baby boy-that might get some results!

homeschoolx3
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Not sure because she really doesn't have a way to prove that the money is hers. She should cut her losses and move on, start over. Really, losing a few thousand is better than losing your sanity or life, her kids shouldn't have to be put through that.

Start over? This guy needs to go to jail for thieft,child abuse, as well as domestic abuse. Guaranteed, he has done this before and it wouldnt suprise me if he has a lengthy criminal history. If she takes him to court, its doubtful he would even show up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)