Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What do you think? Had this discussion with some Mom's last night.

Posted by   + Show Post

Some neighborhood Mom's were playing Pokeno.  After we were talking about various subjects and this came up.  One Mom is on the elementary school board which has K-8 in the school. 

The school board has taken up talking over the subject of what can they do about kids and facebook and just in general conversations about say kids talking about last weekends slumber party when all were not included.  Or posting pics on facebook about the slumber party.  How can "everyone" be friends with everyone and not excluding people.  Making kids invited the whole class to parties etc. 

Well, we all jumped on this one.  You can't make everyone by friends.  I am not friends with everyone either.  You can't force kids to be friends.  You can't tell kids what they can and cannot do on their home computer, or who they can or cannot invite to parties, slumber parties or whatever.  What world are we trying to turn into. 

I mean already kids get trophies when they do not deserve them.  Some honor roles are gone not to slight others.  Our poor kids will never be ready for the real cruel world if we shelter them and let this happen. 

ALL of us agreed the school needs to stay out of personal lives.  Anyone one of us grew up being excluded at one time or another and we survived.  Most have a core group of friends and even then may ask one to spend the night this weekend and another another weekend.  You don't always invite all of your friends to everything, let alone someone you don't know or are not friends with. 

The schools are really walking a fine line on overstepping boundries here. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Replies (11-18):
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM
If my child is at MY house and post something on Facebook, that's between me and my children, that has nothing to do with school.

I think the school needs to worry a little more about teaching abc and 123's, and what's happening ON school property. Leave the parenting to the parents.

Maybe I don't want to invite 16 or more girls to my home every time my DD wants to have a sleep over. (dd is not even two yet though LOL)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I agree the school needs to stay out of it. You can't force kids to be friends or invite everyone. Kids are different and one group might not have something in common with another. While, bullying needs to be watched for, not inviting someone or inviting your specific friends is not bullying.  It is in their home and their computer, as long as they aren't being abusive or making threats etc., adults need to let kids work out stuff so they know what to do when they grow up. Kids need to earn rewards and frienships are not automatic, they are built.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM

The school needs to stay out of it. Our children need to understand that not everyone is going to like them and that it's ok. They also need to learn that you get rewarded for hard work. We are doing our children such a disservice.

Queen_Bree
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM

At my kids school the teachers keep telling my oldest daughter to be nice to her "friends"( classmates) I think this is unrealistic and just plain dumb. I agree that the school should stay out of personal affairs. I also think if you want to invite friends from school to an outside activity you shouldnt send the invitation to school but through the mail or in person after school.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM

this is what our school does as well

Quoting mommaFruFru:

The only thing our school says is that if you send invites through the school/classroom that you invite everyone. But if you call/fb/direct mail everyone you can invite whomever you want

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM

i think the schools need to mind their own damn business.  ya cant force the kids to be friends, they should know that! yes you can TRY to teach them to be civil...but..if its your kids' bday and they dont wanna invite a certain someone, they shouldnt have to...not only that, but whose to say the parent(s) can afford a party for THE WHOLE class.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM

i completely agree

Quoting cjsmom1:

The school needs to stay out of it. Our children need to understand that not everyone is going to like them and that it's ok. They also need to learn that you get rewarded for hard work. We are doing our children such a disservice.

coreynlala
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I feel like just as long as there isn't bullying involved than who gives a rats ass if all the kids weren't invited or whatever. ya know? When it comes bullying that's when I say step in but only with the bully not the rest of the school. Everybody shouldn't have to suffer just because of a few bratty kids. Mt oldest is very popular but doesn't get invited to all. And he's cool withn it. I've had to set him down in the beginning and explain that it's not easy for parents to throw parties for everyone. Keeping it simple is easier and he understood. Teaching kids stuff like that now and how to deal with little stuff makes it soo much easier to deal once we start hitting the deeper stuff, ya know?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)