Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Hone School VS. Public School

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • 254 Replies

Poll

Question: Home School VS> Public School

Options:

Home School

Public School

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 300

View Results

I have a almost 5 year old and  I am trying to decide wether to put her into public school or to home school her. I am not sure about public schools right now with all the recent events. I mean you have all the shooting and not to long ago there was a 2nd grader raped by another one in the school bathroom. I am very nervouse about sending her to school. Plus the schools around here suck. We nolonge have a school district we can take our kids to any surrounding school. The only problem with that is then I willhave to drive her to and from school out of town and thats a  lot of gas, miles, and time on the road daily.  So I am looking to see what other people think. Thanks for your help all!!!

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyagain2013
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM
3 moms liked this

i will be homeschooling my kids and from what you wrote in your post it sounds like you already made up your mind.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM
7 moms liked this

My kids went to private and public.  They are 19 and 21 and survived just fine.  Odds of getting killed in a car accident walking across the street is way more than getting killed in a school or raped.  Parents today are so fearful. 

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM
15 moms liked this

Fear is not a great reason to homeschool IMO. What is a great reason is to give her a chance at continuing to enjoy the joy of learning in a more natural way, to give her a better education and to enjoy having her home.

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Yes we have been homeschooling going on 14 years now.  It is by far one of the best decisions we have ever made for our family.  We couldn't be happier.  :)

undefined

anotherandree
by Inga on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM
7 moms liked this
Homeschooling takes ALOT of dedication, time, patience, and perseverance. It is not something that should be taken lightly or done out of fear or frustration. I considered it, but we found an amazing charter school in our area. It is like having the benefits of a private school with the cost of a public school. Is that an option for you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM
7 moms liked this

My son goes to public school.  I won't let fear rule my life.  I can't keep him in a bubble anyways.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

crzymmy5
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I would be more concerned about the education your daughter is getting and less concerned about the "what if's" of her safety. If you live in fear, your daughter will live in fear.

I homeschool my children and I love it. 

Good luck with your decision! 

jjchick75
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

We homeschool and love it! We wouldn't do it any other way. However I am not anti-public school. For kids and some situations public school is a good option. You have to figure out what is right for your family. 

I will tell you with homeschooling you can have as little or as much involvement as you want. There are lots of resources out there and lots o curriculum for your chose from! We chose an online school for my oldest daughter. I didn't do much and she was old enough that she got up and did her school without me asking her to. She graduated in December at 16 years old and started college last week! We started some preschool lessons with my 4 year old(and my 2 year olds like to join as well). It's nothing hard or really overly structured. I am currently taking somethings from a few different curriculum for his Kindergarten year and plan to be more involved with him then I was with my oldest. She didn't start homeschooling until she was sexually assaulted at school when she was in the 7th grade. 

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Join the Homeschooling group on here! Great people! I would like to homeschool my almost 5 year old, currently it is a matter of if I need to work full time or not. I want to homeschool because I think she will have a better time learning, be able to learn easier and quicker. Also homeschooling while sometimes difficult can be very fun! Most places there are homeschool groups that get together for activities and you can do all kinds of field trips. Also it is fun to teach your own child because you see the progress you make. I honestly just started doing some preschool/kindergarten stuff with my almost 5 year old and its going well.

doulala
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Do you feel like you can offer what she needs?
What about alternatives to PS?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)