Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Hone School VS. Public School

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Home School VS> Public School

Options:

Home School

Public School

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 300

View Results

I have a almost 5 year old and  I am trying to decide wether to put her into public school or to home school her. I am not sure about public schools right now with all the recent events. I mean you have all the shooting and not to long ago there was a 2nd grader raped by another one in the school bathroom. I am very nervouse about sending her to school. Plus the schools around here suck. We nolonge have a school district we can take our kids to any surrounding school. The only problem with that is then I willhave to drive her to and from school out of town and thats a  lot of gas, miles, and time on the road daily.  So I am looking to see what other people think. Thanks for your help all!!!

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Replies (211-220):
jamiebell
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM
I've been considering homeschool but I can't help but think of the things they'd miss out on. For me I think of the little things, eating lunch everyday with friends, not only with family everyday. Recess, my son has made so many different friends and learned Awsome new games because of recess. Specials such as music art pe computer classes. I cam teach him about music and fitness and stuff on the computer but not to the extent when he has a whole class of peers to participate and extend the level of learning learn. I think of his class play he's doing now that he's so excited over. When they get rewarded for good behavior and get to have pj day and a movie. Sure I can do that at home but that's not as fun for him as it is when he's with 22 friends. He feels independent cuz he has his part of his life that is his. I feel torn cuz I see the benefits of what homeschool can do too. But there are things that he will miss out on not being in a public school and socialize in sports or church and such are not going to fulfill what areas I think my kid would miss out on. I'm not criticising either side as Im on the fence, these are just my own thoughts about where Im torn about it.

Quoting Isabelles_mommy:

You get the same opportunities in Homeschooling that you do when you go to a school. I don't understand why you think this. There are co-op classes homeschoolers can take, if there is something your unsure about teaching. Every class you can get at school can be taught in a home environment or through a co-op.

And if your thinking socialization, you get that with homeschool groups or sports interactions. Homeschoolers tend to socialize with every age from young to adult, instead of just kids their age and a teacher.  

Quoting Bmat:

I voted public school. I feel it is good for the children to have opportunities there that may not be available at home. Perhaps you could carpool with other parents. Having said this, it is very scary about the happenings in the schools. I think I'd volunteer in the school a lot.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paperorplastic
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM

My oldest is in a public HS.  We have a fantastic school system where we live.  Is private school an option?  If you are they type of parent that can homeschool, that's great.  I personally could never homeschool my kids.  Not my forte. 

VarelaClan
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM
We use connections academy. There are others too. I know of k-12, cova(Colorado only), and Calvert academy. You can google any of them and see if your state has then available.

Quoting lenaymar:

Nice. There is a site online to learn more about this program? It is available to any state?

Quoting VarelaClan:

We've always homeschooled until last year. This year and last we did virtual school. It's a public charter school, but done online at home. I sort of feel it's the best of both worlds. The kids get the diploma and it's free to us, but they get to stay home and get one on one attention from me with the subjects they need more help with.

aasmith88
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I've actually been debating about whether to homeschool too, my daughter is 2 right now. My fear is that I won't be able to provide the education she needs, if she does end up going somewhere to school I want it to be a private school (non religious) that has great ratings from other parents.. Now obviously a shooting, rape or drunk teacher for example could still happen.. But I feel that if I try my best to provide the best for her I did my job as a mother. 

Like someone else said, it seems you have already made your decision, but don't just have "fear" of something bad happening at a school be your only reason. 

@jjchick76: that's amazing that your daughter is starting college at 16! Sad to hear about the assault... My little sister was assaulted when she was 7 by a boy I had been dating for 3 years.. It can happen anywhere unfortunately. Kudos to you though for helping her and she has already achieved so much! 

phoenixmom
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM
We have a population of 300 mil. and given that size the chance of something horrendous is probably like .00009%. Especially for grade school. I did do home school for 6 years and wih four children. It is extremely taxing to do four grade levels and the fact is, even though I did a great job teaching them, there are still holes here and there that you just can't think of. Not being a trained teacher but having the help of the state, twice yearly evaluations and everything at my disposle, not forced by the state. I decided to put my kids in public school bc it was just overwhelming and didnt leave time for much social life for the kids. When I enrolled them, they expected there would be a lot of work for the teachers to do for my kids to catch them up the their peers. Luckily, I was one of the minority that actually taught my children and they were on course or ahead. There were a few micro areas in each subject that I missed and the teachers were great at helping my kids. I am glad I put them in public school, we had more fun time, they had more friends, and any extra help they needed I either helped them myself or took them to a professional tutor. Kumon Institute was the vey best tool ever, the program designed by a Japanese Professor and the Asian owners are doing a great job with all of the students. My kids were 4 times faster than their peers in math bc of Kumon. I really applaud the public school system and know the teachers put a lot of themselves into their jobs. Of course their are bad teachers and we worked though that with personal tutoring if needed. Kids care about their grades and will usually give up if they don't get it and no help is available.
Princess.Sara
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I was homeschooled as a child and plan on homeschooling my children when they are older. One of the biggest thing I can't stand is that people always say homeschooled kids aren't socialized and that is one of the biggest misunderstanding ever. I had more true friends then my public school friends, I was able to have a conversation with anyone, while sadly a lot of kids have trouble carrying on conversations with elders. If you do decide to homeschool try and find a homeschool group in your area. Ours was great and we always had extracurricular activities and field trips, just like you do in public school. Homeschooling is also a huge decision, a lot of people are starting to make it because of the school violence, and I personally think that is the wrong reason to make it, it is something you need to be completely committed to, it is not for everyone. I am not trying to talk you out of it and I am not trying to say public schools are bad. I loved being homeschooled and I don't feel like I missed out on a ton of stuff or that I was not socialized. My brothers and I all were always at least 2 years ahead of the grades we would have been in public school. But again, that is not putting down public schools, I have lots of friends who went to public school and friends whose kids are in public school. Please just make sure if you decide to homeschool it is not just because of the school violence, because it is a big commitment.

VanessaCB
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I hope you don't homeschool your kids. You can't even comprehend basic math.

Quoting Cemommster:

Quoting atlmom2:

My kids went to private and public.  They are 19 and 21 and survived just fine.  Odds of getting killed in a car accident walking across the street is way more than getting killed in a school or raped.  Parents today are so fearful. 

. And 20 some years ago, our world was completely different.

misssy2000
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AshieBeth_Xo:

Quoting misssy2000:

They miss out in interaction with all I the other kids their age. And they miss out on prom, running for school president, saying the pledge of allegiance each morning, eating lunch with their friends everyday, passing out valentines to their class mates, there are so many things that a homeschooled child will never experience. Those are the things I look back and have warm fuzzy memories about. Public or private schools are there for a reason. If everyone decided to home school we would have a bunch of under educated brats that have never had to learn about respecting authority, and getting along with others without their mom holding their hand.

Wow! You are very misinformed. Maybe this video will help.

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Lol!!! You sound so ridiculous and closed minded.

No - that is not what it is like at all.

Nice try though.

Quoting aviatioNation:

Sure they do, as long as the end result of their "thinking" is to come to the conclusion the teacher tells them is appropriate.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I want my children to be able to think too - and they do lots of critical thinking, problem solving and finding creative solutions in public school.

Quoting aviatioNation:

I homeschool not because I'm worreid about violence, but because I want my son to be able to think.

Lurion
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:01 PM

We moved into the cheapest place in the better neighborhood so they could go to great public schools. I could never have given them the education they're receiving there. Top notch all around. My son was accepted into the #1 Arts high school in the country and is exposed to artists and teachers I coldn't begin to give him. 

Just curious--can a 2nd grader really rape a girl? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN