Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Hone School VS. Public School

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Home School VS> Public School

Options:

Home School

Public School

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 300

View Results

I have a almost 5 year old and  I am trying to decide wether to put her into public school or to home school her. I am not sure about public schools right now with all the recent events. I mean you have all the shooting and not to long ago there was a 2nd grader raped by another one in the school bathroom. I am very nervouse about sending her to school. Plus the schools around here suck. We nolonge have a school district we can take our kids to any surrounding school. The only problem with that is then I willhave to drive her to and from school out of town and thats a  lot of gas, miles, and time on the road daily.  So I am looking to see what other people think. Thanks for your help all!!!

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Replies (241-250):
WorksatHomeMom
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:43 AM
I have 2 in PS and I homeschool my daughter. This has definitely been interesting. But I can say my daughter is getting way better education now than she was. I gave all 3 a choice and she was the only one who wanted to homeschool. We go thru connections academy. I love how helpful everyone is and that her teacher is local and I am a learning coach. Today for art we made clay from scratch and made clay bowls. Tomorrow we get to paint them. I love that she has art cause in PS it was taken away due yo budget cuts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
weirdkids
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:54 AM

my kids all go to public school and will continue to.

CityofRosesMama
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:00 AM

VanessaCB: I didn't say that ALL schools are unsafe. I said that she needs to listen to her intuition. I think some teachers do a great job caring for and protecting our children. I brought my daughter to a preschool I felt very comfortable with. I trusted her teacher because she was trustworthy and she took appropriate precautions to make sure the children were safe. The elementary school didn't. So, I decided to home school. It's true that violence and abuse can happen anywhere. That's why we need to listen and respond appropriately to our intuition and common sense before we leave our child. My daughter is involved in piano lessons, horseback riding, soccer, gymnastics and many other fun community activities. I just pay attention and use common sense. Quoting VanessaCB:

Here we have the typical " I am better than you because I homeschool" attitude.  Newsflash, the whole world is a dangerous environment.  A mad gunman can start shooting anywhere, at a movie theather, in a restaurant, the zoo, a supermarket, a park, ANYWHERE, even in your precious homeschooling community. Even in a safe little Amish community there was a massacre by one of their own.  Unless your children are constantly with you in your home, then you will be "dumping" them in an unsafe environment wherever you go. Get real. 

Quoting CityofRosesMama:

Listen to your intuition. Don't lie to yourself and cloud your mind with the bad advice of moms who don't care about dumping their kid in an unsafe environment. You can also let your child do an online school, like K12 or Connections Academy. You already answered your own question. Trust yourself. As for the person who said it's not good to make decisions out of fear... That's ridiculous. Our bodies have a natural fight or flight response designed to protect us and our children. It's also common sense to not put your child in a dangerous environment.

AshieBeth_Xo
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Quoting CityofRosesMama:

I think there are some moms out there that are definitely intelligent enough to home school their children. I also think that many of them are not. It doesn't make sense to me for the government to say some kids must go sit long hours in classrooms with our missing more than 5 days but some
Kids stay home with their moms all day without anyone coming in regurly to make sure the children are Actually learning. I'm sure there must be some kind of testing standards for home schooled children, I just don't think it's as demanding as the one placed in schools. All of our children should be getting the same kind of education.

Emotionally I honestly feel bad for home schooled children. They miss so much. Even if they play at the park or play organized sports. Those are things my children do in addition to all
Of there school activities, not instead of. I think HS children don't get all of that interaction like other kids do and that helps get them ready for life.
Katenemsmom
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:04 AM
I think you should give public school a chance. If you feel like its lacking you can always supplement at home with fun stuff like science projects.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Christine0813
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

If you would actually take the time and read some responses and do some research, you will find that isn't true in most cases on what you think they're missing out on.

Every child does deserves an education, just not the same one. Not all children learn at the same pace, or have the same learning style.

Again, you're commenting on what you think you know, but won't research or ask questions to a home-schooling parent. Honestly, you are the only one is this post that has been condescending, rude and even hostile.

I used to think like you, too. I decided to do my research instead of assuming.

Quoting AshieBeth_Xo:

Quoting CityofRosesMama:

I think there are some moms out there that are definitely intelligent enough to home school their children. I also think that many of them are not. It doesn't make sense to me for the government to say some kids must go sit long hours in classrooms with our missing more than 5 days but some
Kids stay home with their moms all day without anyone coming in regurly to make sure the children are Actually learning. I'm sure there must be some kind of testing standards for home schooled children, I just don't think it's as demanding as the one placed in schools. All of our children should be getting the same kind of education.

Emotionally I honestly feel bad for home schooled children. They miss so much. Even if they play at the park or play organized sports. Those are things my children do in addition to all
Of there school activities, not instead of. I think HS children don't get all of that interaction like other kids do and that helps get them ready for life.

CatFishMom
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I love when people say 'well, I went to public school and survived' or 'my kids went and they survived' as if that makes everything just dandy. I went to public school and survived but you know what? I hated every minute of it, it was sheer torture for all but my very last and first two years of school. I am also terrified of the horrible things happening in our schools but you know what? My fears are not based solely on the shootings and bullying and so forth-my fears are on my kids not learning anything but how to take a test, or how to be a proper 'peg' in the little peg board our society expects them to be. Have your fears, respect them because we are born with the fear gene for a reason-it tells us when something isnt right-but dont let that become the focus. I choose to homeschool my children not just because of my fears but because of the positives. My boys will never have someone tell them, 'oh, you cant play with that now because it's time to do....' whatever they feel is more important. They will learn how to be themselves before someone else tells them who they should be and they will learn at their own pace, rather than being judged because they are ahead or behind someone a year older or younger than they are. Make your decision based on the positives, not the negatives. :-)

Sat.Wed
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Is there no accredited private school? I ended up pulling my childern from public 

Isabelles_mommy
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM

You could send him to a co-op class for those if you feel he misses out being with his own age, or if he needs peers. But my husband grew up homeschooled from 1st grade on and he had 2 younger brother who were homeschooled as well and they were great peers.  But my daughter has many friends, who are homeschooled and they come over regularly during school days ( since homeschooling only takes a few hrs in the mornings) to play (so theres your recess with other kids, although I don't find that a reason to send her to a public school) And she has cousin whom we see at least once if not twice a week who are in school during the day. 

My child gets one on one training with me and my MIL. We are a great team. She is in 1st grade and has tested to be a 3rd grade reading level, and a 2nd grade math level. It's the benefit of having one on one training. Again we are done a few hrs in the morning so that frees us to go on trips, we go to libraries, museums, fairs, bowling, skating, gymnastics all when there isn't a bunch of people and she can invite anyone she wants( usually homeschooled friends, unless schools out)  You can plan a vacation whenever you want and bring her school work with you and not miss a single lesson and also use that trip as a lesson in itself (what school can actually take your child to different states and see 1st hand the history, nature, and culture.) My child isn't stuck in a building and in a chair most of the yr. 

I went to a private and a public school, my hubby was homeschooled and I've seen both sides and researched it alot before making my choice.

As for sports, well as I said on another post, there are homeschool teams and sports. My daughter is into gymnastics and is joining a competitive team this spring. Your child can still be apart of any extra curricular things, just as any public schooler. They make friends just like any public schooler. The benefit is she gets a private tutor, so to speak for every class and subject. Even if she did a co-op class, I'd still be there and making sure she learns right and isn't lost or confused.

She goes to Sunday school every week and wednesday night church. She is around alot of kids and has many friends from everywhere and every background. I'm not trying to sell you homeschooling, but this is what I see with my child and what works for mine. For us it's better then going to a public school.

Quoting jamiebell:

I've been considering homeschool but I can't help but think of the things they'd miss out on. For me I think of the little things, eating lunch everyday with friends, not only with family everyday. Recess, my son has made so many different friends and learned Awsome new games because of recess. Specials such as music art pe computer classes. I cam teach him about music and fitness and stuff on the computer but not to the extent when he has a whole class of peers to participate and extend the level of learning learn. I think of his class play he's doing now that he's so excited over. When they get rewarded for good behavior and get to have pj day and a movie. Sure I can do that at home but that's not as fun for him as it is when he's with 22 friends. He feels independent cuz he has his part of his life that is his. I feel torn cuz I see the benefits of what homeschool can do too. But there are things that he will miss out on not being in a public school and socialize in sports or church and such are not going to fulfill what areas I think my kid would miss out on. I'm not criticising either side as Im on the fence, these are just my own thoughts about where Im torn about it.

Quoting Isabelles_mommy:

You get the same opportunities in Homeschooling that you do when you go to a school. I don't understand why you think this. There are co-op classes homeschoolers can take, if there is something your unsure about teaching. Every class you can get at school can be taught in a home environment or through a co-op.

And if your thinking socialization, you get that with homeschool groups or sports interactions. Homeschoolers tend to socialize with every age from young to adult, instead of just kids their age and a teacher.  

Quoting Bmat:

I voted public school. I feel it is good for the children to have opportunities there that may not be available at home. Perhaps you could carpool with other parents. Having said this, it is very scary about the happenings in the schools. I think I'd volunteer in the school a lot.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Sounds like homeschool might be a good option for you, right now. My son attends public school but we have a very nice school system.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN