Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training woes. I'm losing it.

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 4 Replies

My 3 and a half year old son has been potty trained (daytime) for about 3 months now. When it comes to peeing he never has an accident. It was really easy. Apparently, too easy. For the first month or so he had  occasional accidents and would poop in his underwear but for the most part he made it to the toilet more often than not. Then after that first month he just started pooping in his underwear. I am pretty sure he knows when he has to go because he will squeeze in between his sister's crib and dresser and sit there every time he has to go instead of using the toilet. We tried pull-ups but he stopped peeing in the toilet and just used them like a diaper. We thought maybe he wasn't ready yet and tried to put him back in diapers but he would get really upset and as soon as he could he just took the diaper off himself. I'm not sure what the difference was between pull-ups and diapers, but he hated the diapers. We do make a really big deal out of it on the very rare occasions he poops in the toilet and pretty much ignore it when he doesn't. We just clean him off and set him on the toilet for a few minutes. We don't say much to him, just that it's "icky" (his word for everything he thinks is gross) and he needs to use the toilet.

I'm not sure what to do. He told me he wanted to use the toilet when we started potty training and he's made it pretty clear he doesn't want to wear diapers anymore. Is this something it might just take time for him to get over or is there something I can do to help him? He's really smart but equally stubborn. He doesn't have any real issues other than a minor speech delay but we've been working through that and he's almost back on track, now. I'm just really at my wits end with this. I can't figure out if he just doesn't want to do it or if there is something I should be worried about. He has a cehckup coming up in a couple months and I had planned to mention it to his Pedi then, but I'm thinking I might call him earlier and see what he says. Has anyone else ever been through anything like this? I'm really hoping someone can give me some insight because I'm completely at a loss of what to do.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
saucymama519
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM
bump
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM
What about rewards? We did that and it worked.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM

How is it going with potty training now?

saucymama519
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM

He's not hiding it anymore but he still won't poop in the toilet. We've tried rewarding him but he doesn't seem to care. He stopped wearing pull-ups at night and almost never wets the bed, but still REFUSES to poop in the toilet. If I ask where he's poops he'll tell me "On the toilet" or "In the bathroom" but he won't actually do it....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured