Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

45 minute napper-Help!!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:08 PM
  • 8 Replies

Help! My son (almost 6 months old) only naps for 40-45 minutes at a time. Sometimes he wakes up happy sometimes still cranky.  I try waiting to go in to see if he gos back to sleep and he doesn't.  Although today for the first time ever I went in and held him a second and put  him back down and after 20 minutes of mild fussing, he did go back to sleep so yay! I don't want to have to do that every time.  Defeats the long nap if I have to go in there in the middle.  He's pretty good sleeper at night and goes down for naps pretty well now that we have a routine. 

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM

How many naps does he take per day? Try keeping he awake for a little longer in between naps.  If he starts getting sleepy try walking around with him or play with him.  If he has a longer period of time in between naps he will sleep longer.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM

That's better than many babies... I remember when my first started napping for 45 min at 7 months I thanked my lucky stars!!   If he's still tired, try nursing or rocking him a bit... but some babies just don't take long naps. 

paperorplastic
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

My 1st child never napped longer than 45 minutes a day.  She went to sleep at 7 pm, and was awake by 7 am.  She is a teenager now, and very high energy still!  My other two napped for 2-3 hours during the day.  It all depends on the child.  Try to keep your ds up a little longer between nap times.  A warm Johnson and Johnson lavender bath might also do the trick.  A nice full belly before nap helps too.  Good luck.

Katt709
by Katharine on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Some babies don't take long naps. My 1st was a 45 min napper. He took 3 or 4 of them through the day. He eventually lengthened them so that he was taking 2 hour long naps then 1 2 hour nap. But he had to do it on his own. My 2nd naps well for hours. I love it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
roxiekittie
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM

LOL u think thats bad, my daughter from about 2 months on would only take 15 min naps no more than that, until once she got older i started to put her in her crib and not her nap nanny now she sleeps for like 2 hours! i have to shut the door and light for her to sleep but every baby is different, i dont think thats too bad and she was also a good sleeper at night and still is! 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I think you should be stoked on 45! :)

It won't be forever, they will eventually merge into one or two long ones. Hang in there!
Beckym125
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Thanks Everyone.  I try not to obsess because he is a pretty happy baby and does sleep well at night so hopefully justa phase!!

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM
I actually think you should be glad....this is a natural defense against SIDS. Babies who sleep deeply all night and during the day (usually formula fed babies) have a much higher incidence of SIDS than babies like yours! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured