Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My daughter has night terrors! HELP

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM
  • 31 Replies

If you have experienced this with your child or know someone who may have... Can you please give me any tips, opinions, advice, or thoughts on what I can do to make sleeping easier on her and I. 

If you are curious to what night terrors are, google can explain it wayyyy better than I can. But a short explanation, children who wake up through out the night crying and usually takes a few minutes of comforting for them to go back to sleep ;

my daughter does it 1 to sometimes 5 times a night. It's really hard on the both of us. 

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

From what i understand the child needs to grow out of it and not to wake them up.   Have you tried aromatherapy like a room spray or something in with a soothing scent?

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Do NOT wake her up!! #1 rule!

Sadly not much can be done except for sit by her & wait for it to pass. How old is your DD & does she take any sleep aids? My son was having really bad night terrors while on Melatonin. Stopped the Melatonin and the nightmares stopped. 

shamroc374
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM
She will outgrow them eventually. When my son was little he had them and they would scare me. The doctor told us the best way to calm him down when he was having one was to take him outside or into a room that had a different temperature. We would carry him outside, he would hit us and scream while we carried him, but once we were outside he would wake up and calm down.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
singlemama0905
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Bump for future comments.

My 2 yr old is going through the same thing, I just comfort him until I can get him calmed down and bafk asleep.
ohprettymommy
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

From what i understand the child needs to grow out of it and not to wake them up.   Have you tried aromatherapy like a room spray or something in with a soothing scent?

I haven't tried aromatherapy but I definitely will. Anything will help, I am desperate at this point because she is almost 2. So it's been an ongoing thing since she was at the age that she should be sleeping well.. It has yet to come.

Thanks! 

pegleg63
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM

My 3 year old grandson has these, and has outgrown them. The pediatrician said they are much harder on the parents than the child. Actually the child doesn't remember them fortunately.

ohprettymommy

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Sadly not much can be done except for sit by her & wait for it to pass. How old is your DD & does she take any sleep aids? My son was having really bad night terrors while on Melatonin. Stopped the Melatonin and the nightmares stopped. 

No she doesn't take anything, but thank you for sharing because people have been telling me to ask my doctor for sleeping aids. Now I will stay away.

GoldenLinds
I had them all the way up into adulthood. I can tell youits much harder on you than her because with a true night terror she won't remember anything. With that said you can look into aromatherapy. I foundbit shortened the time to calm down and minimized occurrances. Also a rigid nap time helps. Being overtired will definitely aggravate it which is always interesting to me since it requires deep sleep to get there.
ohprettymommy
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Quoting singlemama0905:

Bump for future comments.

My 2 yr old is going through the same thing, I just comfort him until I can get him calmed down and bafk asleep.

I do the same thing! I guess I'm hoping someone out there has an old fashioned remedy that can help us both! 

best wishes to you! 

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Quoting ohprettymommy:

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

No she doesn't take anything, but thank you for sharing because people have been telling me to ask my doctor for sleeping aids. Now I will stay away.

Is she having trouble sleeping? Or is it just the night terrors? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN