Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband... gerrrr

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 7 Replies

I need to vent for a min.

I love my husband.

My husband has a best friend and this best friend, my husband seems to think, knows EVERYTHING ever in life. Our son came down with a cold in Dec. It was a pretty bad cold but not a serious illness. He took a week or two to get over it. He still has an occasional lingering cough though. Well last night his friend was at our house. My son coughed just once while he was here. After he left my husband tells me "Do you know what croup is?" I say "The coughing thing that (your best friend)'s baby just had?" and he said "Yes, he thinks Alex has it. He says that it sounds just like it. You might want to go get him checked out." Seriously!? I spend allll day every day with our son. I am not worried about this cough it is just a lingering cough. I have the same thing he has/had and it is lingering for me too. Our son has been to the dr 3 times in the past month (he had an ear infection, a follow up, and a 2 1/2 yr check up) they would have noticed if he had a barking cough and difficulty breathing (which he doesn't). Oh but Dr. Best-Friend who has been a father for 5 months must know way more than his wife who has been a mother for over 7yrs (we have a 7yr old daughter who has had plenty of coughing related troubles in the past btw) and spends all day every day with he child and isn't worried one little bit over a cough that happens MAYBE 3-5 times a day!

He does stuff like this with his mom too. His mom and his best friend allllllllll ways know waaaaay more about everything than I do. They always must be right. Even if I tell him something and he doens't believe me and then talks to one of them and they say the SAME thing, he then believes them or tells me this "new" information that they shared with him (the same thing I just told him). Of course he wont remember that I told it to him first though. 

I love my husband and I like his mom and I like his friend. My problem with them is my husband. He makes me feel like I can never be .... right like them (idk if that makes sence). 

Sorry so long, just a little irritated and I am sure the pregnancy hormones aren't helping lol. 

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

It sounds very frustrating.  I agree that after having been to the doctor in the past month that if there had been a serious problem that they would have picked up on it. I hear there is something going around, in fact, that leaves people with a lingering cough for a long time.  Can you just say Yes, Dear, and smile and let it go? :)

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I think you are feeling like they are attacking you through him. when in all honesty sounds like they are just trying to be helpful. Don't let it bother you. When dh says something they think smile and say Thanks I will consider that.

Binkys_Buttons
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Pretty sure the best friends name is Brian right? Because our hubs have the same friend..... Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
butterflycircle
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM

lol

Quoting Binkys_Buttons:

Pretty sure the best friends name is Brian right? Because our hubs have the same friend..... Lol

butterflycircle
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I think you are right. They are just trying to be helpful. It bothers me how he automatically has to take what they say over what I say. Some of the things are crazy though lol. I am trying to take it better. For instance, I didn't call he Dr.Best-Friend to my husband lol.  I know my husband just wants what is best for our kids and if they are sick he wants it taken care of. 

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I think you are feeling like they are attacking you through him. when in all honesty sounds like they are just trying to be helpful. Don't let it bother you. When dh says something they think smile and say Thanks I will consider that.

butterflycircle
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I am working on that lol. My husband is Mexican (from Mexico) he would like it if i was more "yes dear" than "Your best friend is crazy and has only been a parent for 5 months, our kid isn't sick." I didn't say all of that lol but you see what I mean lol. 

If I did that though he would expect that I take our son to the dr about this. If my husband just googled for a min and read the croup is discribed as a barking cough and difficulty breathing, he might realize that our son who is running around bouncing off the walls.... migh tjust have a harder time doing that if he was having trouble breathing lol. 

Quoting Bmat:

It sounds very frustrating.  I agree that after having been to the doctor in the past month that if there had been a serious problem that they would have picked up on it. I hear there is something going around, in fact, that leaves people with a lingering cough for a long time.  Can you just say Yes, Dear, and smile and let it go? :)

LDavis33
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

My DH does the exact same thing.  Sometimes, if I have an idea for something and tell my hubby, he'll only half pay attention and then forget about it.  But, if a friend or family member says the same thing, he will suddenly be super-excited about this new idea.

Just the other day he opened a jar of tomatoes and the whole thing started fizzing all over the place.  He told me, and I said that they weren't sealed properly and they have gone bad and not to eat them.  He had already added them to the stew he was making.  So, what does he do?  He calls his mother, who tells him that he needs to throw the stew out because the tomatoes have gone bad.  So then he chooses to throw it out.  I wonder... if his mom hadn't been home, would he have eaten the stew anyway? 

I usually just shrug it off, life is just to short.  I love my hubby, he is an incredible man. And even though this behavior is a little aggravating at times, it doesn't change how I feel for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured