Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smokers Who Quit Before Age 40 Live as Long as Non-Smokers & Now There's No Excuse Not to Quit - Do you smoke?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Smokers Who Quit Before Age 40 Live as Long as Non-Smokers & Now There's No Excuse Not to Quit

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on January 25, 2013

cigaretteHey, if you haven't turned 40 yet, here's a good reason to light up: According to a recent study, while smoking takes at least 10 years off a person's life, "people who quit smoking before they turn 40 regain almost all of those potentially lost years." Anybody have a match? KIDDING. I'm just kidding, relax! Obviously there's no good reason to smoke, no matter how old you are. If current stats are correct, "smoking will kill about one billion people in the 21st century as opposed to 100 million in the 20th century."

But this is fairly fascinating -- and potentially life-saving -- news. Why? Well, if you've ever known a long-term smoker, you know one of the most common excuses for not quitting: "I've smoked this long, what's the difference now?"

Sound familiar? I've heard this so many times, in so many ways, from "I've been smoking a pack a day for 10 years. If I'm gonna get cancer, I'm already doomed." "I've been smoking for 15 years ... 20 years ... 30 years ... " They all boil down to the same (pointless) point: "I'm already going to die from smoking, so why quit now? The damage is done."

Ah, but apparently it's not so simple. Which is great! And of course, for a lot of people, scary -- because now there's no excuse not to quit.

Are you a smoker or do you know someone who's struggling to quit?

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Starting to smoke was the dumbest thing I ever did. Quitting was the smartest.

-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I quit April 15, 2008 cold turkey and it was the best thing I ever did for my health. 

Kitschy
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

That's great news! I smoked for over ten years. I quit at 31. My sister is still struggling to quit and so is my mom. My mom is 70 this year and my sister will be 51

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM

i quit cold turkey the day before my 28th birthday.  it's been a little over 2yrs now  :)

robyann
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I smoked for 32 years!! I quit 2-1/2 years ago! WooHoo go me, lol. BUT I was 45 when I quit....so not sure if I've gotten back those lost years or not...I'm sure I"ve gotten some of them back!

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:42 PM
No, never smoked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Never. I think it's absolutely disgusting and repulsive. I'm glad I never started. Growing up with a chainsmoker mom helped fuel this fire. She has so many health issues now, some related to smoking, some not. Either way, she still is, even with COPD. Sigh...

Queen_Bree
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I started smoking when I was 16. Im now 40. I have quit a few times for year or so. Truthfully I enjoy smoking. I have no desire to quit.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Crap I didn't quit till 43 after 30 years ....COLD TURKEY.  I may not make up all the "lost" years but I feel great!!

Oceana09
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I smoked from September 2006 until September of 2012. I quit for 5 months and I still don't "need" one. I only smoke when I'm at the bar, which is about once a month.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured