Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My dog (Denna) playing with the piggies!

Hannah brushing Fern

Fern and Charlotte after their yearly bath

Fern being lazy

Their cage (Pre cleaning lol) I clean it about every 3rd day fully, and every day I spruse it up! Most people don't even know I have guinea pigs when they walk into my house, till I tell them :)

Fern (black and white) 
And Charlotte (Brown and white)

Just wanted to share :)
Do you have any small furry cage creatures?

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
living4truth
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Love them! We don't have any pets at all right now. I just don't have the time right now to give them proper attention. I love your guinea pig's cage! Very nice!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Aw! Sooo cute! Jealous yours are so calm. Ours are paranoid! To be fair they had been abused and returned to the pet store:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:12 AM

LOL, I know what you mean.

I have actually considered getting rid of them many times because it is just so much for me right now. 

And we are fostering, so it will be even worse in a few weeks.

But every time I think about getting rid of them, I think not knowing if they are okay, if someone fed them to a snake, or if they are not being fed. I know it is stupid, they are just guinea pigs, but those are my thoughts.

We were originally only supposed to have the one, but then I saw the other one on craigslist in this little cage looking all sad. So I had to get her. I stay of craigslist now, LOL!!

Quoting AM-BRAT:

They are handled plenty. :)

Any more cage work than I'm doing is too much for me lol.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

I have a little dustpan and brusher, once a day I brush off the fleece and put the aspyn bedding back in the box.
You can also use the paper bedding, it is easier to clean up.
I have coroplast under mine, almost like a box, and then I have towels under the fleece and tuck the fleece over the edges so they can't get it up.

If you piggies are young they just need to be handled as much as possible. They will always run when you try to catch them since they are prey animals, try making a barrier (I move their igloos to make an inescapable corner), and herd them into that and them pick them up. If you chase them in their cage it makes them more skiddish.  

We also have floor time every couple days, where we piggy proof the living room and let them run. I have a towel and vinegar ready for piggy piddle. (Vinegar neutralizes the pee :)!!)

Quoting AM-BRAT:

PIGGGSSSS!!

Do you like the fleece bedding? We were HATING the shavings. HATING. It would get drug out everywhere from holding them, them running around and kicking it out...

I researched fleece and we tried and tried it but they seemed miserable, pulling it up at the edges and walking around on plastic, hiding under it. Spazzes.

We finally gave up and went back to shavings and just got the kid a dust buster.  *sigh*

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Aw poor piggies :( 
I am glad you have them now! 

Quoting arpazia:

Aw! Sooo cute! Jealous yours are so calm. Ours are paranoid! To be fair they had been abused and returned to the pet store:(

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Thank you! It is a lot of work though!

Quoting living4truth:

Love them! We don't have any pets at all right now. I just don't have the time right now to give them proper attention. I love your guinea pig's cage! Very nice!

arpazia
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM
And thanks for sharing about the fleece! I had no idea!!!

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Quoting arpazia:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM

The site I learned about C&C cages at is called  www.Guineapigcages.com. There are some great ideas for cages and tips for using fleece if you want to check it out some more :)

Quoting arpazia:

And thanks for sharing about the fleece! I had no idea!!!

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Quoting arpazia:

sweetmissy_05
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Cute!! We have 3 pet rats.

lovegrandbaby
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I am terrible with Craigslist too.  That is how I got my two cockatiels, my 3 cats, 3 of my turtles, all but two of my guinea pigs, 1 of my parakeets.  I still look but have to tell myself to behave.  I am going broke with pets and kids. LOL

Quoting Mommy2justone:

We were originally only supposed to have the one, but then I saw the other one on craigslist in this little cage looking all sad. So I had to get her. I stay of craigslist now, LOL!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN