Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Potty Training Advice

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have a ds who is 2 (will be 3 in April). For the past month, atleast once a day he will use his potty and we make a little celebration out of it. Well so far today he has kept his diaper dry (which really excites me since this is a first since he's started using his potty about 6 months ago). 

Now I know he knows when he has to go, he just doesn't want to and occasionally refuses to. I've tried lot's of different things and so far I've found one thing that works (he gets chocolate when he uses it but we rarely have any kind of junk food in the house so it's really a treat for him). Now that has backfired on me a few times because he tends to pee a little bit then run around play for a few minutes after being rewarded and then finishes. 

I was wondering if there was something I could possibly do daily to help encourage him. I'm at loss with ideas. 

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM

You may need to back off for a bit and try it again. There's also a great potty training thread on the Toddlers & Preschoolers group that may have some ideas for you to try:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/preschool/forums/read/12868139/Potty_Training_101_Share_your_best_tips

Lunarprancer
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I think he is too young, but that's just my opinion.

rollinthunder6
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM

He may not be ready yet. It is good that you are showing him. This may sound weird, but when my kids were in that stage I played sink the ship. You put a toy, or toy spung sponge or something in the potty, tell he must aim to sink the ship. My boys loved it. they tried to set bombs off as well. it worked.

itsamadfrenzy
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Hey!! I also have a little boy who will be 3 in April. We had our fair share of potty-training issues but he is fully potty trained now so it is possible!! I started this whole process close to Thanksgiving last year. If your son likes trains I have an awesome idea we used. We didnt use any sweets as rewards. Create a train track on your wall.. I used brown packing paper (super easy). Then get a printable train picture. I let my son color it in and told him all about what we were going to do so he felt like he was a part of it all (He never wants to be left out!) Post the track and train near the potty and each time your son uses the bathroom you move the train down the track one space. Hopefully by the end of the day your train can make it all the way to the station! Then its time to celebrate!!! Do the potty dance, high five, jump up and down! Luckily no one can see acting like a complete crazy woman in your own home!! LOL We didnt have one piece of candy, just the fact he could see the progress and he is in love with anything trains was enough.

It is possible so dont lose hope!! 

catngabsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM

if he is resistant, then he isn't ready. just because he is showing some signs of readiness, it doesn't mean he is completely ready. i think you should just back off for now, let him know the potty is available, positive encouragement when he does use the potty and wait it out a little more. when he is completely ready, it will happen in a matter of days, trying to bribe and entice a child who is not completely ready, means it turns into a months long process with the parent being trained. true successful potty taining means the child is also bathroom trained, is able to use the actual toilet, get his clothing on and off in an efficient manner to successfully go to the bathroom, knows to handwash and keep playing in the bathroom to a minimum.

EthansMomma2010
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM

love the train idea. but i would move it backwards if he had an accident. that way he knows it all has to go in the potty. don't give up. all children used to train before 3 and closer to 2. it is totally possible unlike what some parent say. my son will be 3 in august and is currently working on getting to the potty in time and learnign to relax on the potty so he can go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN