Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I am afraid strangers will judge me for...* Edited to add*

Posted by   + Show Post

Formula feeding. I know I can't do anything about the way people act, or think, but I hate being judged as it is. I know I will get dirty looks and whispers behind my back. I just wish I could wear a sign telling people why I am not breastfeeding the child in my arms. Just venting....thanks for listening.

Edit : Formula feeding isn't something we are doing by choice. We are foster parents, there isn't another choice. I think that is why I am so worried about what others think. That they will not understand.
Also, for those suggesting it, we are not allowed to give foster babies breast milk, or breast feed them. We aren't even allowed to give unpasturized cows milk. It is our agencies rules.
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Replies (231-240):
pinkforever
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
If someone approaches you negatively in public or online, if they act belligerent(a nicer word for ignorant). Politely tell them that they're actions are the reason why you're bottle feeding your baby. God bless you and your family.
zeesmuse
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:01 PM

It's none of their business. Ignore them. It's NOT their decision, NOT their choice.

SarahsAMommy
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Forget what others think! You are doing what is best for you and your family. You are already doing something great by adopting! That's just amazing.

HamsterandCow
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM
I couldn't breastfeed due to medication I had to take. I can relate to the ridiculously judgmental people I encountered. I had more than one woman ask me what medications I was on and couldn't I just stop them for six months? I just told her it was none of her business but it was embarrassing. Don't even bother with these people. They're rude and you don't owe them any explanation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TalulaBelleLove
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Congrats on your new addition! As long as you take care of and love that baby who cares what anyone else says or thinks! I think its awesome that you opened your home and heart to foster a child! Rock on Mama
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bellygirl
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I'm an advocate of breastfeeding, however, it's not for everyone.  My little sister has a leaning disability and when she had her daughter, I knew breastfeeding would have been way too overwhelming for her.  Therefore, I encouraged her to formula feed.  She watched me bf my singlet and twins for 1.5 years each.  I know she felt the need to do the same.  She is a diabetic and my neice was born and her blood sugar was high.  She had to immediately be fed formula.  Megan, my little sis, did try and pump for two days, but she got nothing.  I could see her frustration level.  I did not want her to have a bad experience to start, so I encouraged the formula.  

bellygirl
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I'm an advocate of breastfeeding, however, it's not for everyone.  My little sister has a leaning disability and when she had her daughter, I knew breastfeeding would have been way too overwhelming for her.  Therefore, I encouraged her to formula feed.  She watched me bf my singlet and twins for 1.5 years each.  I know she felt the need to do the same.  She is a diabetic and my neice was born and her blood sugar was high.  She had to immediately be fed formula.  Megan, my little sis, did try and pump for two days, but she got nothing.  I could see her frustration level.  I did not want her to have a bad experience to start, so I encouraged the formula.  

lageise
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Do not worry about what others think.  Even if you could breastfeed, it's not for everyone and some people are not physically able to do it.  Children don't have problems later in life because they were fed formula.  I did breastfeed and I always got the feeling people thought I was nuts.  Why wouldn't I just formula feed.  It's easier, everyone can feed the baby and I don't have to hang my boobs out in public.  You are doing EVERYTHING possible to be a good mom, just know that.

cdjak
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Bless you for being a foster parent. Don't worry about what anyone thinks. Ignore them all and focus all your energy and attention on that lucky little baby in your arms. 

Isaacsmom913
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Honestly, I doubt you will.

I formula fed my son.  Period put on the end of the sentence-no explaination needed.  I formula fed my son.

NO ONE ever said a word, whispered, or looked cross eyed at me for doing it.  Bottom line it's very easy on line to "judge" others but in real life it rarely happens.  I have friends who breast fed, and I have friends who bottle fed-even among those there was no judgement.

ENJOY the baby(ies) that are in your arms.  Hold them as you feed them, love them while you feed them and I promise that when they are 21 and standing in a line of other adults you will not be able to tell which ones were breast fed and which ones were bottle fed.

I will say this--use the Playtex Nurser-my pediatrician "forgot" per his own admission that I didn't nurse based on the bottle before he read the record.  Also, baby has far less gas, and the slow nipple is most like nursing.

Enjoy the baby!

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Formula feeding. I know I can't do anything about the way people act, or think, but I hate being judged as it is. I know I will get dirty looks and whispers behind my back. I just wish I could wear a sign telling people why I am not breastfeeding the child in my arms. Just venting....thanks for listening.

Edit : Formula feeding isn't something we are doing by choice. We are foster parents, there isn't another choice. I think that is why I am so worried about what others think. That they will not understand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)