Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I am afraid strangers will judge me for...* Edited to add*

Posted by   + Show Post

Formula feeding. I know I can't do anything about the way people act, or think, but I hate being judged as it is. I know I will get dirty looks and whispers behind my back. I just wish I could wear a sign telling people why I am not breastfeeding the child in my arms. Just venting....thanks for listening.

Edit : Formula feeding isn't something we are doing by choice. We are foster parents, there isn't another choice. I think that is why I am so worried about what others think. That they will not understand.
Also, for those suggesting it, we are not allowed to give foster babies breast milk, or breast feed them. We aren't even allowed to give unpasturized cows milk. It is our agencies rules.
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Replies (311-320):
pagirl1360
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Don't ever feel bad for the choices you make.  They don't know what your circumstances are and it is none of their damn business. 

doulala
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Quoting meepsm0m2006:

my breast milk isn't as healthy for baby as formula

J/W-- are you also considering the alternatives to your milk (that are safer than commercial formula)?

MSaker
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Others opinion shouldn't matter when it comes to your child's well being. I formula feed my baby and I tried my hardest to breast feed but at the end of it was just best to have on formula. Baby is happy, mom is happy and life is good.
lulys37
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:49 AM
First of all dont worry what people might think. There are different situations on why some of us cant breastfeed. People need to respect. I have formula feed all my daughters. I have a personal reason o well that doesnt make u a bad mom. I think if someone ever tells you other wise or critisize you then tell them. Im sorry but that is my choice and if you dont agree with it that is your problem. You have no need to give explanations to anyone why or why not your breastfeeding its your life and dont let no one ever tell you how to do this or that for your child. Just smile and move foward.
weirdkids
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:52 AM

more people ff than you may think. just bare with it, ull do fine. if you are super concerned, they do sell formula in liquid form... u can just put it in a different container then no one would know.

OctoberCutie07
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I bottle fed my daughter and while I did have some family that looked at me like I was crazy for not breastfeeding my daughter. I didn't care. It was what was best for our situation She is as healthy as if she had been BF and at 5 she is right where she should be. Don't let anyone tell you that you are wrong for bottle feeding.

azeventdiva
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Well, if you're FOSTERING & not ADOPTING, then you can't nurse them. But, I would think you could still get breast milk from a milk bank & bottle feed.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

I would if I could. My Foster license could be terminated for nursing or giving breast milk to a foster baby

Quoting azeventdiva:

I understand, but since you are bringing it up, you obviously have a problem with it yourself. Maybe look into the other options, like milk banks or getting your milk supply in. Mom's who have never given birth & have adopted HAVE still breast fed their adopted children. There are things you can do to get that going. Contact your local Le Leche League for info on how to do this, if you're interested in that.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Even if we were adopting from foster care we wouldn't be able to give breastmilk till the adoption was final which would take at least 6 months.
And it is against our agency rules as well.
We aren't even allowed to give unpasterized cows milk, they are very very strict about this.  

Quoting azeventdiva:

Well, if you're FOSTERING & not ADOPTING, then you can't nurse them. But, I would think you could still get breast milk from a milk bank & bottle feed.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

I would if I could. My Foster license could be terminated for nursing or giving breast milk to a foster baby

Quoting azeventdiva:

I understand, but since you are bringing it up, you obviously have a problem with it yourself. Maybe look into the other options, like milk banks or getting your milk supply in. Mom's who have never given birth & have adopted HAVE still breast fed their adopted children. There are things you can do to get that going. Contact your local Le Leche League for info on how to do this, if you're interested in that.

mommaXjess
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I breast fed for a week and then gave up, formula it was! People can say what they'd like.. but formula feeding isn't wrong. It's what's best for you and your child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dustykitty
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Don't worry about what other people say about feeding your child formula.  Both my boys were fed formual because breastfeeding didn't work for me.  I know breastfeeding is probably the best thing for your child, but not all of can do it or want to do and our children turn out fine.  My mom formula fed both my brother and I and we are prefectly normal adults.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)