Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Bedtime Woes

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:39 AM
  • 15 Replies

Help!!! lol

My son will NOT sleep in his bed. Last year he stopped sleeping with the light off. Nightlights will not work. His room must be 100% lit or he screams hysterically, to the point of making himself sick. He says that the monsters outside look in his windows when the lights are off. This all happened literally in one night. He was fine when I put him to bed, all lights off (he hated even a nightlight then). An hour later, he was a screaming, inconsolable mess. I turned the lights on, he was fine and went right back to bed. It has been that way ever since (almost a year now).

Now, he wont sleep in his bed anymore. He would rather sleep on his floor or beanbag chair. This wouldn't be too big of an issue except that since he has been doing it for the past 4 months, he has gotten incredibly crabby. You can tell he's sore, stiff, and miserable all day. He is also staying sick, I think because his immune system has lowered because he is not getting restful sleep (on the floor, which IS carpeted by the way, with the light on).

My question is, how do I get him to sleep in his bed with the lights off again? I'm just worried that it's going to really start effecting his long-term health and I am at my wits end.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:49 AM

have you sat in his room with the lights off and looked at the windows with him?  Have him describe what he sees to you while you sit on the bed with him.  Maybe put up curtains that block the view from outside but can be opened during the day.   Can also try a monster spray with is a few drops of aromatherapy scent in a spray bottle of water 

RandiBear
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:58 AM

You know, I should try the "monster spray" thing...maybe let him spray it at night so he feels in control. I have tried to look out his windows with him, but he wont let the lights be turned out so I don't know what to do there. He runs from the room until the light comes back on. I don't know what scared him so bad, but something did. We moved from the apt we were in when it happened (but are in the same complex) so I don't know. I'm wondering if one of my neighbors did something to spook him. We have some jerk teens around here. He was two then, and just turned 3 in Dec. I just hate seeing him so scared of something that I cannot fix for him. KWIM

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:01 AM

That is quite possible.  Teens wearing monsters masks tapping on the window if it is at face level.   Also see if you can put up curtains for him.  The monster spray should help.

Quoting RandiBear:

You know, I should try the "monster spray" thing...maybe let him spray it at night so he feels in control. I have tried to look out his windows with him, but he wont let the lights be turned out so I don't know what to do there. He runs from the room until the light comes back on. I don't know what scared him so bad, but something did. We moved from the apt we were in when it happened (but are in the same complex) so I don't know. I'm wondering if one of my neighbors did something to spook him. We have some jerk teens around here. He was two then, and just turned 3 in Dec. I just hate seeing him so scared of something that I cannot fix for him. KWIM

Smashsmom
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:03 AM

My son had this issue for awhile also.  You need to set up a bed time routine. Use a nightlight and explain to your son that he needs "healthy sleep" to grow big and strong and healthy sleep has to be in the dark.  I used to "turn on a forcefield" for my son at night...it was just a little ritual where i acted like i was turning on a special switch under then bed to protect him. it made him feel safe.  When your son gets out of bed simply place him back into the bed. The first time tell him why you are putting him back in bed ("you need to sleep in your bed to get a good rest") after that just place him back without speaking to him.  This will require you to be 100% consistent and will honestly be way hard for probably a week or two but it will get better and bennefit both of you in the long run.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:21 AM

I don't know, something scared him,my kids wouldn't sleep in their rooms for a while after hearing scary stories from a cousin. Have you tried putting the mattress on the floor so he doesn't have to worry about "monsters" under the bed? Also read to him childrens books about childhood fears, I'm sure there's a Berenstein Bears book about it that he'll like.

angel_eyez
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I think if my 3 year old baby was that petrified id probably put him in my bed rather than let him sleep in a bean bag. Maybe you can put him back in his bed once he is asleep. Thats just me though. I hate sleeping w my kids but i dont think i could let them be so afraid. They grow up so fast and they'll always remember when mommy helped them with their fear. I know i do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Melinda32
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:32 AM
I really have no advice, I tried the whole protecting the room stuff, didn't work so my son ended up in my room with me so we'd all sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Put the mattress on the floor. Then no monsters can hide under it.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Leave the lights on. My dd slept in the hallway for over 6 months once. Told her she was welcome to sleep anywhere in our home, but not our bedroom. She was 3 1/2 then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RandiBear
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Okay, I want to address a couple of you, about the bed issue. He isn't afraid of the bed, he just doesn't like it. He actually crawls under the bed to play lol. What he's afraid of is outside his window. At 3am today he woke up hysterical again and pointing out the window. We are now in a basement apartment so his window is at ground level.

Also, he doesn't leave his room when he gets up so half the time I don't know he has gotten out of bed until I get him up in the morning. He just moves from the bed to the floor or his beanbag. He wont sleep anywhere except his room unless he is over-tired.

Tonight we are going to rearrange his room, put up curtains, and try a new bedtime routine using the monster spray. I am wondering if he has seen deer outside his window with their big antlers and that's what is scaring him now. I'm going to sleep in his room for the next few days to see if I can't get him to sleep in his bed all night. Also, I have put a small camera up in his window so I can see if anyone is coming up and trying to scare him because I will be pressing charges if they are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)