Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Over 50 and back to school

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:56 PM
  • 7 Replies

Well, my first post.  Been at this schoolin thing for the second time about seven years now, with a few breaks here and there.  One of which was a mental breakdown.  The result of alot of stuuuuuuffffff that happened close together forced me into early menopause, in, out, finished, and fybermyalgia, sciatica, and chronic depression. I'm a cancer survivor.  Some days I go to work when called and some days I don't. I'm an on-call substitute educational assistant for the county school district. My last gig was in a teenage Life Skills program for the metally disabled. I'm a step parent, a grandmother, and still a mom with one 13 year old in the house.  I've been in the same place for 28 years with the same man, but that doesn't mean I haven't been places, the first 20 years of my life, I moved every four years with my folks and siblings.

I don't celebrate holidays and birthdays, but I'm happy anyway and my husband doesn't mind because he saves alot of money.  We are very stable folks, so when stuff happens in my family or my husbands, they come to us to fix it.  We've handled some whoppers!  Some we just didn't touch.... My grandbabies are the world for me right now.  A boy and a girl, natural grandkids, anyway.  Little girl has cerebral palsy.  They do not live next to me anymore and that makes me sad

In the evening, I'm just not motivated to work on homework and I want so much to just be a homemaker.  Going to school though and subbing is exhausting, but I love it...I go to work with a smile and come home with a smile, so to stop would just mean to vegitate.  I've started a junior novel, a western, on a dare from my husband.  I crochet, right now I'm into hats.  I'm finishing a tie quilt finally for my nieces boy who is six now, yeh, I procrastinate bad...I can food, garden, love my english garden that has been five years in the making.  Read everything I can get on disorders, give respite care for two good friends, one with Williams Syndrome the other has Asberger's.  My second step son has dyslexia and his adopted boy has ADHD.  Well, enough for now.  

I'm procrastinating, gotta do some homework. Some day, I'll be a teacher....that's the dream anyway.

Peace out. 2pink 

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome! I think it's awesome that you are going back to school!

edieda
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I agree with the first poster,  make sure you take some time for yourself. Much success to you in your endeavors and God Bless you and your family.

-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Good for you!  Its never too late.  My mom is 60 and going to school to be a nurse.  I am 32 and going to school majoring in finance.  It sure can be exhausting sometimes.  What classes are you taking?  Keep chasing those dreams!  You'll get there!

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Hello and welcome!! I agree, I think it is wonderful that you are going back to school.
How exciting it must be to be working on a novel. How far are you into your novel? Care to give us a synopsis or sneak peek?

2pink
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

You and your mom are now officially added to my idol list!  It's never to late to learn and do what you want to do to make money.   Thanks for the pick-me-up cheer!

2pink
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Hi!  The novel starts off will two brothers12 and 13 that are slugging each other in the snow, bear tracks on the ground around them, and they hear a baby cry.  They find the baby, indian momma dead next to it, so they debate and decide to take it home.  Yeh..that's the gist.  What'd you think? 2pink

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM

When I graduated from college there was a lady over 60 graduating. Her husband had died and her kids were grown and out of the house. She had always wanted to finish and she went back to school. She got a BA in Sociology and went to work for her church.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured