Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

asking people not to buy my kids toys

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:42 AM
  • 45 Replies

Is there a easy way not to sound mean to ask family and friends not to buy my boys any toys for birthday and chirstmas? They are 2 and 3 with too many toys already. Is there a way to set up a college saving at a bank they could add money to instead of buying toys? Whats your opinion?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Can you suggest other things clothes, books, movies
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:44 AM
Zoo pass?
peaches_04
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:45 AM
I personally think asking for money is a little tacky and not fun for them to open

Maybe go through and donate outgrown toys to make room for new ones
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:48 AM

I would rather do a one toy rule per gift giver. They are only this little for a very short time so ask for developmental toys such as puzzles and building blocks rather than electronic.   DD loves books even from toddler hood so that was her preferred gift.

Christine0813
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:22 AM
5 moms liked this

IMO, on invites you can say "no gifts please." It is rude to directly ask for money. Now, if someone is to ask what they want or may need, then mention their savings account.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM
I would never say I want money. You might suggest it to your parents but be happy with whatever they decide to do. I would never make that suggestion to friends or anyone else. Seems greedy and tacky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I know what you mean.  My 3 year old rarely even plays with 95% of her toys.  I tell my family to get her clothes or books but she has a ton of clothes and books too.  Asking for money seems a little tacky so I could never ask but I wish they would just give us money so we could put it in her college fund.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I would just ask that people not bring gifts but I don't think you should ask for money. If it's no gifts then you should leave it at that.

LDavis33
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I agree with the previous posters who suggested asking for no gifts, as opposed to specifying what to give.  Although if they are anything like my family, they will not listen.

So, what I do instead is go through the toys shortly before a holiday/birthday and pick out all of the ones that are no longer played with.  I donate these to my son's daycare or to the local thrift store.  This makes room for any new toys.

As well, if someone asks me directly what to get my children, I tell them that we are trying to save as much money as possible for their education, so a small cheque to be deposited into their RESP would be appreciated.  If they insist on getting a gift, we ask for books.

kirita323
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:13 AM

My best friend recently had a birthday party, "Gifts are not necessary, just your presence is plenty! If you don't feel right to not bring a gift, we ask then, if you could give her cash. We would use it towards her to be able to give a hug to the one grandma she hasn't been able to hug yet. She already has her passport.". I see nothing wrong with asking someone to contribute to a college savings account, or in my friends case, to go see her mom in Hungary. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)